Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-02-2014, 04:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Unhappy Confused about cycling

hey guys iam ah newbie I just setup 55gal hex tank that ive been cycling for 3weeks now ph is 8.2/8.4 ammonia is showing 0 nitrites are showing 0.25 nitrates are between 10/20 iam starting to see brown algee on my rock is my tank done cycling and why is nitrites not at 0 and can I add more live rock to the tank or do I have to cycle that to?

Old 10-03-2014, 01:03 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You are seeing nitrite because you arent finished cycling yet.

What are you using as an ammonia source?

New live rock could likely be added now since youre still cycling. However, once youre done you will need to curebit before adding any new rock to tour tank.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Confused about cycling

iam using raw shrimp wanted to do fishless cycle tested tank its reading 8.2-8.4 ph 0 ammonia 0.25 nitrite 0 nitrate my skimmer has a lot of black gunk in it is that good or bad cluesless ......oh by the way I have 55 gal hex 25 lbs Fiji premium live rock which dryed out compeletly befor I started the tank 20 lbs carbiean live sand 10 lbs dry sand 12 lbs miracle mud 2 800 wavemakers 1 1200 wavemaker that keeps blowing the sand gotta fixed that should I run canister filter? marine orbit led lighting
Old 10-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Skimmer - normal although theees no reason to use it atm. I would turn it off.
Rock - I would increase to 1lb per gallon
Wave makers - too much. 10x - 40x tank flow per hour is the recommended gph.
Canister - no reason
Cycle - Its working, when you no longer have ammonia or nitrite it should be good

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com