Considering saltwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Garett34

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone!

My first post on this site and i'd really like some advice!

I have a 55g that i took down about a year ago (FW) and i've really been thinking about setting it up and trying saltwater but i need some advice. I have an 55g Aqueon quietflow filter, and a fluval brand heater. I would like to know what other things i would need, if i need a different heater and different filter, and prices on all this?
i have kind of an idea on what i need which would be
-protien skimmer
-salt
-sand/substrate
-maybe a new filter?
-different lighting system

Help with this would be really appreciated! :fish2:

Thanks!

There are many filtration a options available to you, I have the same sized tank and run that filter less (loads of live rock and a powerful skimmer) if I could start over I would have drilled the tank and run a sump but for now this system works for me with weekly water changes. Have a read of some of the articles on here about the different types of filtration. You will need powerheads for flow (probably two) and look into a rodi system for making your water (tap water not recommended) what do you plan to keep? Corals? Fish only? That may help you decide filtration and lighting options...

No i haven't had any time to check out the other options for filters but i will fore surely go check it out! and i wanted to try with corals first and then eventually fish aswell!

No i haven't had any time to check out the other options for filters but i will fore surely go check it out! and i wanted to try with corals first and then eventually fish aswell!

Then get a good skimmer and good lighting.

Then get a good skimmer and good lighting.

x2 on this, you can keep your hob filter for mechanical filtration and water polishing, but you NEED a good skimmer and lots of water circulation, as in a pair of good powerheads like hydor koralia 850's and a reef octopus skimmer like the bh1000 or the bh100 skimmer, these are great skimmer for the price and IMO are a better option for someone that doesnt have a sump or canister as an option, heres some links:

Reef Octopus BH100 Hang-on-the-Back Protein Skimmer - Bulk Reef Supply

Reef Octopus BH1000 Hang-on-the-Back Protein Skimmer - Bulk Reef Supply

Hydor Koralia Evolution - Bulk Reef Supply

Back
Top Bottom