Cycle almost complete, when its done what % water change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Civicman86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Here is my last few test results, I think by the end of the week I should see all 0 and can add my livestock :)

Test 7/21/05
Temperature 79
PH 7.8
Salinity 1.024
Nitrate 10ppm
Nitrite 1.0ppm
Ammonia 0.0ppm

Test 7/25/05
Temperature 79
PH 7.8
Salinity 1.024
Nitrate 80ppm
Nitrite 1.5ppm
Ammonia 0.0ppm

Test 7/29/05
Temperature 79
PH 7.8
Salinity 1.024
Nitrate 40ppm
Nitrite 2.0ppm
Ammonia 0.0ppm

Test 8/1/05
Temperature 79
PH 7.8
Salinity 1.025
Nitrate 10ppm
Nitrite 0.25ppm
Ammonia 0.0ppm

So when it does go to 0, what % water change should I do. Its a 10g tank.

TIA

Did you change the water between 7/25 and 8/1? Your nitrates fell down. How does that happen without a water change? Are you sure you did the test correctly?

Afterthought. Take a water sample to your LFS just to compare your results.

Just curious, why is a water change needed after the cycle. I never did do one and my parameters were fine. 0ppm ammonia, nitrites, and <5ppm nitrates. Am I missing something?

The test isnt to hard lol. Put 5 drops of solute into the solution and compare to color chart. Same test as I have been doing since day one and its definatly gone down. Its a very light purple instead of a deep purple.

Ill take it to have it checked but Im sure it correct. I top off daily with about 1.2 gallon water daily. One thing that i wish I did with consistency was take test before adding my water daily.

The nitrate test on the aquarium pharm. kit is a PITA. You have to add 10 drops... turn the vial a few times to mix it up. Then shake the #2 bottle for atleast 30 seconds... then add 10 drops. Now shake up the vial for 1 minute atleast then let it sit for 5 minutes. Kinda rough for one test. Much more accurate than those test strips tho.

A skimmer does make perfect sense tho. Personally I wonder why you need to do water changes hardly at all if you have a skimmer and good water circulation. Using just aragonite sand and live rock with a skimmer and a few power heads. LR and LS for biological filtration to make nitrates, HOB filter for mechanical, and a skimmer to remove nitrates. Just top off the tank. :p You could use a python just to do that.

As for adding the clown I've heard they are pretty hardy fish. If it looks like the tank has cycled. 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites. I would think you could add him. I've just heard you should go slow. Let the tank adjust to the waste production to keep ammonia spikes to a minimum.

I'm actually working on my first SW tank and I have some shrimp rotting in my tank along with some LR and LS. Should prove to be an interesting smell. :roll:

I have no skimmer, just two PH (maxi 400 and 600 that occilates) about 15lbs LR and 20lbs LS.

I was thinking of doing a skimmer but arent they real expensive? And for a 10gallon tank is it worth it? I was thinking of doing a fuge but some people tell me thats not worth it either.

I know what you mean about the smell. This was my first SW cycle and yeah it stinked. Got some Neutral Air to spray in my room daily. :p

Im going to just wait till my nitrites ar 0 to add the clown. I dont want to risk anything. Thanks for the help guys and girls :) Ill get some new pics soon.

Back
Top Bottom