Cycle apparently over - now what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Feron

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been patiently waiting for weeks now, and it appears my cycle has run it's course.
Water stats -
1/1/06
temp 78.6
sg was 1.024 - added a slight amount of ro/di to bring it back to 1.023
ph 8.0 (how do I raise this slightly? baking soda mix?)
alk on the high side
Amm ~0
Nitrites ~0
Nitrates ~0
(I hate the inaccuracy of these tests, but that's what they all appear to be to my eyes)
I havn't run calcium, magnesium or iodine tests yet (they are due to arrive in the next few days).

Prior to this -
100lbs of live rock added, properly scrubbed etc.
4" sand bed
RO/DI water
Skimmer running 24/7
12hr light cycle
temp constant in the 78 range, warmer during the day, cooler at night (using an aquatronics controller to SLIGHTLY vary the temperature)
sg has been pretty much constant at 1.023
the alk started at 'normal' and has risen to the lower end of high
ph has remained constant at ~8+ (.1 varience above 8 at times)
ammonia started at around .25, rose to .5 for a few days then backed down to .25 until today's test
nitrites 'spiked' at .2
nitrates 'spiked' to the 5-10 range

Brown algae (diatoms?) have been somewhat prevalent this past week, with die off occuring now (bubbles coming from it).

So now what?
Clean the brown crap up as much as possible without disturbing the sand, do a 50% water change, monitor for a few days then add some livestock?

Also, I've noticed various forms of life emerging from the rocks, fan worm type things..but yesterday I noticed something I am wondering if it is aptasia.
It's absolutely tiny.. no way I can get my camera to focus on it..
The part you can see best is about the size of a small speck of lint..
It's white, appears to be connected to the rock with a stem of sorts, and has tendrils coming from the 'speck' that are waving in the current...fairly transparent and not shocked by flashbulbs or flashlights.
<shrug> figured I'd ask while I was posting.

Thanks as always.

Oh and happy new year!

Clean and vacuum the glass and sandbed, do a 50% water change. Wait for parameters to stableize again...if everything is good to go, add a clean up crew and fish. Plan your fish purchases and put them in slowly. a week or more between additions.

Did you say what size tank you had? It sounds like after you do what Mr Hara says you are ready to go. Cant wait to see the pics

It's a 90g AGA with overflow and all that stuff...
bio-balls (I know...)/megaflow, skimmer, UV filter (soon to go online).

Thanks for the replies..

My apologies. I know now Mrs Hara. Just wanted to say thanks for all the info you`ve shared over the years. Will that get me off the hook now :D

is this going to be a reef tank? IF so SG is low should be at 1.026

According to DR.Ron Reef tank should be at 1.026 a Typical Ocean is 1.026-1.027

1.023 may be fine but thats what he suggested and he know his stuff.

Dr. Ron doesn't even keep a reef tank. He said so himself at MACNA this past Sept. No one is saying he doesn't know his stuff, just that it can be done other ways as well.

I agree everyone has there own way, I just wanted to point out this...

Well you pointed it out. Just remember that every one on this site has their own opinions based on knowledge and experience. I dont know who Dr Ron is but I know the advice that fluff and other advisors give on this site and I`ll go with it over Dr Ron anyday.

I had read in a few places that 1.023 was the sg of the ocean "on average".
I also keep it at that level due to the requirements listed for my potential livestock.
I'm still not clear on what makes a tank a 'reef tank' per se.
I have live rock and will have inverts and a modest selection of fish, but no corals or anenomes for at least a year... which gives me plenty of time to adjust the sg over a long period of time if they require a higher salinity..

Back
Top Bottom