Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2008, 08:59 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm reading this thread and don't mean to hijack it :p but i dont wanna start a new thread when its the exact same question Erok is asking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Putting the filter in your main tank overnight just wasn't long enough to get an effective biological filter.
So when you set up a QT you have to cycle it as if it is a small DT?

Quote:
Sometimes my fish have to stay in QT longer than I expected. I took a clear plastic water bottle, drilled holes in the upper top for overflow close to the lid, put a 75 gph power head at the bottom with some hard stones to keep it down and a sponge where the water flows in and filled it with a hand full of small bio balls.

Instant wet dry and filter for a 10 gallon tank. It's fully cycled so I can do just monthly water changes if I need to. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate, and I change the water when nitrates get to about 15 ppm. But that takes about 2 months to reach that level.

When I'm done, I can empty the tank and take out my water bottle and just keep it filled so the bacteria stays wet. When I need it again, fill a tank, drop the water bottle in, plug it in and instant cycled tank ready to go provided the bacteria did not die off in the bottle.

I couldn't keep up with the daily water changes so this is second best for me.
So if someone is doing a QT and they can have it running 24/7, they should cycle it right?

Cuz im gonna buy a HOT powerfilter to a 10g like Erok7620, (i dont have my DT up yet but wanna set up a QT before i put anything in my DT)

If someone has to cycle, i know LR has the bacteria in it already but where does the bacteria on a powerfilter come from and how do i start the cycle? with a cocktail shrimp?

Thanks in advanced...

Old 07-01-2008, 09:03 PM   #12
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:24 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks melosu, will do more reading on "inorganic aquarium cycling"

Planning to get this:

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/StoreCata...yType=0&offset=

it has a biowheel.

Just gotta figure out how to start the cycle.

Thanks agian
Old 07-02-2008, 12:49 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2findnemo View Post
Just gotta figure out how to start the cycle.
Same way you cycle a display tank... preferably with a raw shrimp, but with a 10g, a good pinch of fish food should do also.

The other option is to put the biowheel setup on a cycled tank for a week or so. At that point, you should have a fair amount of bacteria on the biowheel. You might see a mini cycle when you switch it over to a QT and add a fish, but it will only be a day or so while the bacteria play catch up.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:33 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

So when I buy the power filter with the biowheel, it already has the bacteria that breaks ammonia down in it?

Cuz i dont have my DT cycled yet, im gonna do the fish food thing. Im just confused at where the bacteria comes from?

With a LR setup the LR has the bacteria...
Old 07-02-2008, 10:06 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
When you buy the wheel it will not contain the beneficial bacteria. It will need to be cycled.
The bacteria comes from the decomposing organic material. You'll have an ammonia spike, then a nitrItes spike, with the ammonia declining and then a nitrAte spike, whith a decline in your nitrAtes. Once you have 0 ammonia/nitrIte readings and nitrAtes present, your tank is cycled.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:53 AM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

The biowheel is a wet/dry type filter. It will be home to nitrifying bacteria once there is a source of ammonia introduced into the tank. Initially , as Scott stated, you need to cycle the QT just as you would a DT. You can use a good pinch of fish food or a raw cocktail shrimp. I keep the biowheel from my QT filter in the sump of my DT so when I need my QT tank I have a ready source of bacteria and an almost instant cycle. I still do daily pwc's on the QT for the first few days to a week to insure that the biofilter has time to grow a large enough population to sustain the livestock in QT.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:13 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks so much guys. I should get it started right away then... since I have to wait a few weeks for the thing to cycle.

Quote:
I still do daily pwc's on the QT for the first few days to a week to insure that the biofilter has time to grow a large enough population to sustain the livestock in QT.
How would I know if there is enough population of bacteria because my first fish I plan to put in my tank are a bunch of green chromis (like 6)

My QT is only 10g. Would I have to do different QT sessions? Or can I put them all in at once?

Old 07-02-2008, 04:06 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2findnemo View Post
How would I know if there is enough population of bacteria because my first fish I plan to put in my tank are a bunch of green chromis (like 6)

My QT is only 10g. Would I have to do different QT sessions? Or can I put them all in at once?

When I was stocking my main tank, I quarantined 3 chromis in a CYCLED 10g tank, with a Penguin 100 biowheel, that had been up and running 4-5 months. I still got an ammonia spike (between 0.25-0.5ppm), but no detectable nitrites. I ended up doing daily 20-30% water changes. Even after putting a cup of sand from my main tank into a media bag, I still didn't get over the hump (no detectable ammonia) for two weeks.

By my experience, I would guess that 6 chromis in a 10g would be too much (assuming you quarantine a full 4 weeks) and you'd have to do daily water changes all during the quarantine period to keep your water parameters at least tolerable. I'd probably break them up into 2 batches of 3 fish each.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:31 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok,

So i will cycle the QT until i get 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and some nitrates. I will do this by adding some flaked food or a uncooked cocktail shrimp.

After the cycle I will do 20-30% water changes daily for a week to ensure that the bacteria grow in the power filter.

then i will add 3 chromis and do tests daily and based on that, pwc 20-30%.

After 4 weeks i will do the whole thing agian to my other 3 chromis.

Right?

Tags
cycle, hospital tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com