cycle tank with an eel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philc21

Aquarium Advice Activist
i heard from someone who came into my work that he cycled his 60 gallon tank with a snowflake eel has n e one else heard of this i did not know they were hardy enough to do that or do u think he was just lucky

Eels are very hardy, but I wouldn't suggest using one to cycle a tank. Why subject the eel to the ammonia and nitrite when you can use a piece of shrimp from the grocery store to achieve the same results? IMO, fishless cycling is the way to go...whether you use uncured LR or shrimp. JMHO.

I agree with Logon. I was told by my LFS that i could cycle my tank with my eel. Not knowing any better, i took him home and threw him into the tank. I got real lucky because i found this site a day or two later and learned just how wronge the LFS was. I kept the eel in the tank, but I did water changes every few days to keep the levels low. It took my tank forever to cycle. Fishless is the way to go.

thanx for the advice i wanted to make sure it would be ok first i guess not lol i think im just gunna cycle my tank with mollies cause its in my bedroom so i cant really rot a piece of shrimp so i think thats the only way to go tahnx again

I remember reading somewhere you can use small quantities of household ammonia solution to cycle with.. as long as it's the clear kind that isn't perfumed.

I think the point that is trying to be made here is that using fish to cycle is cruel and unnecessary.

I agree. I would never ever ever use fish to cycle a tank. I have a 60 gallon and used raw shrimp - it didn't smell in the least (my protein skimmer may have helped with that). :wink:

i thought u werent supposed to run the protein skimmer till it was all cycled and id rather use a few fish who probly wont die and know that it will cycle alright then tryit fishless cause i have a feeling id screw it up somehow

I don't think it matters if you have the protein skimmer on or off during the cyle. In my opinion, I think it helped with the smell - because there was none! :) Please try the raw shrimp method instead of subjecting some poor little fish to such harsh conditions (even if they do live, it's very cruel).

Just a quick question along the same lines.

Should I use one small shrimp to cycle a 37 gallon? or should I use half a shrimp?

thanks.

One shrimp should do it. There shouldn't be any odor either. I've cycled several tanks using this method and have never had any problems with odor. A tank full of uncured LR can generate some odors, but you have a lot more waste material there than you will with just the shrimp. I recently cycled a 5 gal hex for my daughter with a shrimp...no problem at all...a dwarf gourami now resides happily in there.

And you can't screw up cycling with a dead animal. You put it in with heat and circulation and wait. Doesn't get any easier than that. You can easily screw up with live fish. It won't smell any worse than the tank itself will, which doesn't smell at all unless you shove your face into the water and breath. Then it just smells like drowning. :lol:

I agree with those who suggest the fishless method of cycling. Its inhumane to put a living creature thru that kind of enviorment. It would be like asking someone to live in the sewer.

A tank full of uncured LR can generate some odors
Was thinking of using only uncured LR to cycle 100gal. How much do I need to get the job done, but not have to terrible of an odor. Some is OK, but too much and the wife will flip.

I have a 60 gallon tank and used about 51 lbs of liverock - however, my rock was mostly already cured. I think that's how my tank cycled so quickly (one week!) If you are getting uncured liverock I was told that it's best to get the most that you can get right off the bat. Otherwise, when you add more uncured liverock to your already cycling tank it could start the cycle over and just take forever! :?

when you add more uncured liverock to your already cycling tank it could start the cycle over and just take forever!
I only plan on using the uncured for the cycle. After that I will add cured Rock with all the critters. What LR (grade and from where) did you cycle with? I just don't want everything to die during the peaks.

Back
Top Bottom