Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-30-2011, 11:30 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxStLxx View Post
You just need to have some patience honestly. SW is a whole different ball game than FW tanks. How much LR do you have in the tank? how deep is your sand bed? Is all your rock and sand live? Damsels are a great way to cycle the tank just drop a coup,e of the buggers in there and feed them everyday and ususally within a week you should have a ammonia spike and within a month or so it should be completely cycled.

Also what does your filtration system look like, what all are you running?
tanks a 25gallon with a Aquaclear 70 on it, I have 14lbs Live rock, 20lbs Base rock, 20lbs Live sand giving me 1-1 1/2" sand bed. Debating on putting another 20lbs in the tank, I have a bag of it but havent used it yet beings its 30$ and I wasnt sure how much of a sandbed I would have or need. Running a Korilia 1050 right now, Have a 425 and a 750 I think Ill be putting in the tank in place of the 1050. At the moment it has a 24" double bright on it, my 4bulb t5ho is on the way. there is also 1 damsel in the tank that the LFS convinced me would be the best way to cycle the tank.

CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:08 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would go with a 3" sandbed otherwise once you get to a year marker in the tank you might get old tank syndrome where your nitrate spikes and wont go down the DSB will help alleviate most of that headache. Make sure the way you have your rock set up and aquascaped that water can freely circulate in, through and around it other wise you'll get dead spots that will cause nitrate spikes in the future. For sure switch to 2 power heads opposed to one. 2 425's should be fine and koralia has its own wavemaker now that you can pick up for about $80. Are you running carbon, GFO, or chemipure? And you might want to get a HOB skimmer like a eshopps PSK-75. Great cheap skimmer. Have one on my 12g nano. and have their bigger PSK-100 on my 55g. Run with the damsels 1-3 might be best. feed everyday and the tank should cycle in a month - 2 months. Its different with each tank. Be patient it will pay off in the end. Once the tank is cycled leave the damsels in there for an additional week then take them out and replace them with other fish. They are terrorists and very territiorial. If you really like the look of them add them last to the tank so they're at the bottom of the pecking order.

Any thoughts yet of the fish you want in the tank after it cycles? And are your bulbs actinic and at what spectrum?

Old 12-01-2011, 12:43 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

My lights are 2x day time 10000k, 2x Actinic. Ill look into the skimmer but not sure if Im going to run one, I may beings I want a warsse. Im going to run a a 425 on the bottom and a 750 on the top of the tank.

Stock List:
Pair of Osc Clowns
Mindas Blenny
McCosker's Flaser Wrasse
Maybe a Royal Gramma

Fire Shrimp
Peppermint Shrimp
Emerald Crab
Then typica CUC
Old 12-01-2011, 12:55 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

A skimmer is a must if you ever plan on doing corals. Also are you running carbon aand anything else?
Old 12-01-2011, 12:57 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

carbon, why is a skimmer a must? everything Iv read says its not needed as long as I do weekly PWC and thats no problem, I have my own Ro/Di unit so a PWC on such a small tank is hardly an issue for me.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:00 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

It removes evtra nutrients int the water that are introduced by fish and whatever you add to the water. Helps keep the nitrate levels down if not completely elimanting them all together. Even with weekly PWC some things are left behind that the carbon wont filter out. Just makes for better water parameters down the line and less headaches.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tests show 8.4PH, 2ppm Ammonia, .25 Nitrite, 15ish Nitrate cant tell for sure. The cycle seems to be coming along now finaly.

Tags
cycling

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com