cycling tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the comments on my tank and stand!
New Readings
Ammonia~ 0
Nitrites~ 0.5
Nitrates~25

reisy00 said:
Thanks for the comments on my tank and stand!
New Readings
Ammonia~ 0
Nitrites~ 0.5
Nitrates~25

Nitrates should drop to zero soon!

Medic193 said:
Little off topic, my water readings are about the same... But my pH has been 7.8 and has stayed there for 2 weeks now. I've used a buffer to increase with no changes for 3 days .... Any suggestions how to raise? I did crack a window today heard that helps diffuse c02 in the air.

Low alk causes low ph have you checked that?

danbstrong said:
Low alk causes low ph have you checked that?

No I haven't. I didn't purchase a test kit for that... I'm assuming its a water test? My lfs said its common for a new tank to have low pH.

Thoughts of using charcoal filters w new tanks?

-- 2 different stores gave me two different answers ..

Medic193 said:

Ive never used carbon in 3 years good skimmer and pwc will go a long way

Medic193 said:

Some people use charcoal, some don't. It's up to you. Part of the purpose of charcoal is to remove tiny bits of sediment, remove odors and help to clear the water. :)

I use charcoal works well I see no harm in some extra chemical help in a closed system. I do weekly water changes also.purigen is another chemical that really makes water sparkle. I was wary at first but my friend at lfs uses it and said that I would notice a difference in clarity I said my water is clear so I tried it he was right sparkling.

Just finished cycling ammonia and nitrites are now 0 for the last several days. Also is it rare to have a large population of pods already?

Been a little bit figured I would update everyone. I have added a pair of clown fish one black and one orange, Fire shrimp, some hermits, snails, and a compressed toby. Everyone is doing great. Orange clown hangs out in the one corner I think it hosted to my thermometer.

Back
Top Bottom