Decreasing NitrAtes after ammonia spike

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I thought I would start a new thread on this, because my ammonia problem seems to be solved. Originally I had added "cured" live rock, and my ammonia spiked and the fish got pretty lethargic. I got the fish out of the tank, and he is doing fine, now.

I did a water test today, and my parameters are: ammonia : ZERO, nitrites: ZERO, nitrates: 40. So my understanding is that the tank has been cycling, and I now need to decrease my nitrates. I have been reading a lot, and among other methods, it seems that doing PWC's can do this? Am I correct? Or do I let the tank just continue along its path and the nitrates will start to drop by being processed.

BTW I do have my protein skimmer running. I now have a total of 200 pounds of LR for my 125.

Now that I have almost completed my fishless RE-cycling, I am starting to decide what fish will go in. And now I have a quarantine tank to boot! I am thinking that I will go FOWLR for now.

Bruce

PWCs is about the only way to get the nitrates down in your tank since it's so new, so yes, water changes are a good thing

do a 30-40% pwc and the nitrates will drop, my nitrates where giving me a huge number while i was cycling that slowly dropped with the other readings. I ended up with 20 nitrates and a pwc took care of that.

I agree that frequent PWC`s will take care of your nitrates. As your tank gets more mature you`ll start to develope anerobic bacteria in your low flow areas that will take care of some of those nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom