fish gasping at surface

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caalabo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently added my first fish, a maroon clownfish, to my aquarium. She seemed fine for about two days, however on the third day; she seemed a lot less active and was gasping at the surface surface. My first thoughts were that there wasn't enough oxygen in the water, so I adjusted my power head so that it agitated the water more. Now there are tons of bubbles in the tank and it's quite a bit louder. Now she seems fine. My levels have been constantly Ammonia-0ppm nitrite-0pp, nitrate-20pp, and ph-8 for the past few days. Did I fix the problem? Are the bubbles going to be a problem?

try and get no bubbles i the water, micro bubles are not our friends.
do the gills seem liek they are purplish in color?

not for a fish only, fish can handle that nitrate level. when its a reef you want to aim to keep 5ppm or less

Nitrates of 20ppm for just fish should be fine and certainly wouldn't be making it "gasp" at the surface. I would say you fixed the problem now just mess with it to make less bubbles.

is the clown bobbing straight up and down? if not i wouldn't be to concerned, my two perculas do that everytime i watch them they swim with their heads out of the water.

they are called clownfish for a reason, they do strange and funny stuff

nope. Should i be worried about the micro-bubbles? No matter how low i put the flow on my protein skimmer it still makes little bubbles

try placing a sponge over the outlet

microbubbles cause saltcreep which lowers the salinty of the water it can also kill seahorses and rot them fro mthe inside, also can kill soft tissue corals

i never heard of the bubbles killing soft tissue corals. i have witnessed salt creep though, and it's a P.I.T.A.
i would be concerned about a sponge over the exhaust port of the skimmer, or any pump outlet. if you choose that option, i would check it regularly. i imagine a clog would empty quite a bit of water out of the tank and on the floor.
any sponge material or filter socks i had on my systems would clog in just a couple days.
it will also effect the efficiency of the skimmer.

Back
Top Bottom