Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-18-2005, 05:17 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfreek
Fish whom are fed at a regular time will become more active just prior to feeding. Fish whom are feed in the same spot of the tank all the time will congragate there when someone is close to the tank.
My fish go crazy nuts when I set a coffe cup containing frozen food on the glass top of the tank for a few minutes to let the food melt to tank temp.

Those fish know what is in that cup. Thats some pretty smart fish.

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:21 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to tinman
In response to the memory debate:

They may develope memory but at the same time the are not very intellegent. For instance You can set up a tank placing plants and decorative rock in several areas, leave it for a year. The fish will develope territories and even homes. If you take and move all the plants and decrotive rocks around, the fish get confussed and don't register that it is the same rock just in a different spot and will develope a totally different territory and home.....

Old 03-18-2005, 05:27 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This is a very cool debate! To respond to FF I don't really feed my fish at the same time of day and it's not only when it's feeding time. I'm talking when I go up to the tank they seem to perform for me a little bit. My fish didn't do this at first and it has been a gradual progression. I agree that there probably isn't much complexity to their memory but I believe it is there.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:54 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Fish definitely have a memory of some kind. Think of all those salmon who return to the stream where the spawned from. You could say it was instinct I guess but what drives that instinct? It has to on some level be some sense of memory in my opinion. It may be a primitive memory but a memory none the less.

As far as pain goes, I would think on some level they experience some form of it. They definitely react to negative stimuli. Whether this is true pain as you and I feel, I think we will never know.

greenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 10:19 PM   #55
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to mjvincent
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfish
Fish definitely have a memory of some kind. Think of all those salmon...
Fish have instincts and that would be about it...

Check this link out by a MD... http://www.cotrout.org/do_fish_feel_pain.htm
32 gallon hex, 34 lbs lr, Prizm protein skimmer, fluval 104, 1 maxi jet 750, 1 maxi jet 1200 ph, current 40w 50/50 pc, 1 NO powerglo 19watt, 1 daylight NO 65w (equiv), two damsels, 1 green brittlestar, 1 peppermint shrimp, turbo snails, red legged hermit crabs, kenyan tree coral, leather coral, pumping xenia, mushroom coral, green star polyps, orange button polyps
mjvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 03:44 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
Have you ever heard a lobster scream when they are being steamed at a lobster restaurant? They scream. Sounds a lot like a horrified womans scream. Its wierd.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 08:12 AM   #57
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR15 guy
Have you ever heard a lobster scream when they are being steamed at a lobster restaurant? They scream. Sounds a lot like a horrified womans scream. Its wierd.
Just air being expelled from cavities within the exoskeleton, more than likely. Since they don't have lungs, they can't exhale. Or course, then there's the whole vocal cord thing...

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 08:24 AM   #58
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
For instance You can set up a tank placing plants and decorative rock in several areas, leave it for a year. The fish will develope territories and even homes. If you take and move all the plants and decrotive rocks around, the fish get confussed and don't register that it is the same rock just in a different spot and will develope a totally different territory and home.....
Wouldn't this be true of humans also? If somone discreetly moved every house on one block during the day, when people came home there would be mass confusion. It would take awhile before everyone realized that there house was moved.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:56 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to tinman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchillin
Quote:
For instance You can set up a tank placing plants and decorative rock in several areas, leave it for a year. The fish will develope territories and even homes. If you take and move all the plants and decrotive rocks around, the fish get confussed and don't register that it is the same rock just in a different spot and will develope a totally different territory and home.....
Wouldn't this be true of humans also? If somone discreetly moved every house on one block during the day, when people came home there would be mass confusion. It would take awhile before everyone realized that there house was moved.
never thought of it that way...lol....alot of POed people on that block..This is true but you would recognize your house after the confusion was over. Fish I have found don't even recognize the same rock.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:11 AM   #60
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
heck,

I get mad whenever my fiancee moves the coffee table.

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cycle, fishless

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com