Goby died!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caco

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had a Goby on my tank (it's a red sea max, 34 gallons), I have had this tank for about 2 months. My readings today:
PH 8.4
AMONIA 0
NITRITE 0
NITRATE 20 (always..doesn't matter what I do)
Phospate 0
Hydrometer 1.024
Temperature 80.7

So first, everyday I have to clean the tank because I have a green alge bloom. I did a PWC 10 galons last friday and I'll do another one tomorrow.

I'd like to have an idea about my goby. He looked active all the time, and when I so him the Firedshrimp was eat all his body,
Somethimes I saw the firedshrimp nibble on the BlueTang...so could it have been the firedshimp that killed him?

First Off I want to say Sorry for your lost. I understand you have a Fire shrimp in your Tank? My guess would be he grabbed him in the middle of the night as Fire Shrimps can get aggressive. But I can be wrong Let see what the other would have to say. Second you said your Nitrate are always at 20PPM? you should be @ 10PPM or lower, How old is your test kit? Also are you using RO/DI water for water changes? How much are you feeding?

Thanks Frankie for your reply....my water test is about 2 months old too, I buy saltwater ready from Monterrey Bay - California.
I feed any other day, sometimes 1 cub of frozen food, sometimes one each 3 days. I have my lights on for 6 hours/day from 12 to 6 pm. The fired shrimp does look agressive that's for sure, even when you get close to the tank, he show up from a Liverock.
And the goby use to sleep on a cave close to the fired shrimp...

I really dont see anything jump out at me on your test readings. 20 on the nitrates did not kill your goby. It pretty well looks like he had some type of sickness or illness. Anything strange about him before he died. BTW I`m sorry about your loss.

No he was fine until he died...I have 2 clows a small blue tang and I had this goby...the Blue Tang doesn't look "normal" for the last 10 days or so...he got a "baby powder" arround his body and sometimes it's look like his color is fading. I don't know if I should do...I don't know if should I wait before buy something else.
and BTW means?????

Yes..it's look like a powder on his body...It's look like I'm going to loose him.
So no more fish for a while?

Sounds Like Fungus to me.... If you have a QT tank you might be able to save him with treatment.

For one, a fireshrimp is a cleaning shrimp, so he may have been cleaning him. Others may chime in, but I have heard the fires will clean sick fish moreso than a cleaner. I have not seen a fireshrimp be aggressive at all...but sometimes who knows?
2nd you have a tang in a 32...not such a great idea.
What else do you have in there? I doubt your nitrAtes are the issue.
Oh what kind of goby?

I know it's not a big tank for a Tang,...but it's was a very small Tang and I had an idea to keep for a year or so...I don't think it's was a fireshrimp, maybe was some kind of parasite. I have 2 clows,1 goby (all white and yellow head) and Blue Tang...besides de shrimp,snail,crabs and some corals.
My nitrates are 20 doesn't matter what I do...even with 5 galons water change, some times 10 galons, feed any other day and I feed only what the fish eat. I was looking around and looks like it's not a big deal, besides the best will be close to 0
If you have any idea to reduce the nitrate...I'll be waiting for.

Thanks

Make a batch of SW and before you put it in the tank do some water test. Your source water may be adding them to your tank. You are not using tap water are you?

No...My water come from Monterrey bay - California - its salt water from the ocean

I forgot to ask, how did you acclimate your fish?
Can you explain or take a pic of the algae?

I had that fish for a month or so...when I had the fish for the first day I left inside the plastic bag(inside the tank) for 20 minutes and every 5/10 minutes I mix the water from the tank inside the bag.
I'll take a picture for the alge but look like diatons and a green algae, but its not the green hair algae. It's look like a thick green tiny hair...all togheter specialy on the LR. I'll post a picture

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom