Gravity is to high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am not sure why but my gravity keeps going up?

When the tank started it was 1.023 but now two weeks later its at 1.028

it was as high 1.038.

I add non salt water to bring it down to 1.024

its now back at 1.026

Am I missing something?

I have not added any additional salt.

Are you topping off with salt water?

Also, evaporation can make the salt reading rise. Water evaps, salt stays there.

Also, I'd recommend a hydrometer to read with for more accuracy.

I topped off with RO water no salt because it was high.

I have a Hydrometer

Maybe I need more RO added? I have probably another 2.5 or 3 gallons siting there I can add should be room.

Is your temperature stable? With a hydrometer readings will vary depending on the temperature of the water. That's why many hobbyist recommend using a Refractometer for a stable reading.

My question is how long do you let your saltwater mix stand before you add it to your tank when you do i PWC?

75 gallon new set up. So I have only done two changes + some top up with RO water.

I had the salt water in the tank with nothing (except a raw shrimp) but water for two weeks then I added about 30 pounds of LR (yep I know I need more cant find any) and 80 pounds of sand

It sat for about two more weeks and I added a Clown.

The LR I added came from an already established tank.

The water changes I did where from LFS bought water at 1.022

The temperature seems stable from what I can see (don't really see it go up or down)

I have two pumps pushing water using Enium classic to filter it.

Temps 79.

Top off every day w/ RO water. Evaporation causes SG/salinity to rise.
Also, look at ditchingt your hydrometer and getting a refractometor. They're more accurate. If you don't rinse the hydrometer w/FW after every time you use it, it may give bad readings as well

Two weeks is kind of early to be adding any fish. How is the clown doing? It seems to me that you need to do a water change, 10% or so and see if that brings the SG/saliniy down and stabe. You need to check for ammonia, nitries to see how far along you are in the cycle!

clowns are doing great they havbe paired and seem very happy.

They aggressively take food have found a little home but explore the rest opf the tank.

I added about 2.5 gallons of RO water and will do some measurements tomorrow with post

I add non salt water to bring it down to 1.024

its now back at 1.026

Am I missing something?...

Yes... you're missing doing daily top offs with fresh(RO/DI) water. If you don't do top offs at least once every couple days, you'll see the salinity rise. As others have said already, the water evaporates from your tank, but the salt doesn't.

Back
Top Bottom