Green and still green

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hdfergie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay guys, tell me why I did a 50% water change and used RO/Di water and my green ugly Algae is back!! I have 0 ammonia 0 nitrites 8.0 ph and .5 nitrates!! I'm at my breaking point! I have beautiful fresh water tanks and one BIG UGLY SALT TANK!
125 gal
5" live sand
Was 6 t5 ho bulbs, now 4
G6 Fluval canister filter
Skimmer
2 wave makers power heads
What is going on here???

I'd bet the phosphates are high. Do you have a reliable phosphate kit? When were the t5 bulbs replaced last? How old are they?

Large amounts of algae in a system will be actively consuming the nitrates/phosphates in the water column. You won't be able to get an actually reliable reading.
One 50% water change won't solve parameter issues. If you have nitrate levels of 100, a 50% water change will drop that to 50, and then they will begin to rise from there.
Algae problems are a long, drawn out, frustrating battle. You will need to continue with manual removal of the problem algae during these large water changes.
I normally don't advocate the addition of livestock to a system to solve issues. It not only adds another eating/pooping creature to the system, which will help nitrates rise, but you also have to continue feeding it once all of the problem they are addressing is gone. But in a 125 gallon system, I might ask if there are plans on adding any tangs to the setup? They won't go after long hair algae that is overwhelming things, but when addressed can keep a well maintained lawn. I also like to have an urchin in my systems now after years of algae problems from only being able to use distilled water. Some food for thought.

There's also a chemical media that you can add to your filter called phosguard which will help in eliminating phosphates and silicates which adds to the algae growth.

I would check the water you are using fo PWC`s. If you are using tap water then that could be the issue. Make up a batch of SW and test it and see what you are adding to your tank. Being a worker at a water treatment plant I would guess that might be the issue.

Are you running a sump at all?
How often are you cleaning the canister filter?

Adding a refugium could tip the scales in the fight against algae.

I am using RO/DI water but will check it for giggles. The canister is a G6 Fluval and I clean it every 2 weeks ( only the pre filter) and replace the secondary canister with a phos remover/carbon. I'm going to do another water change and change the lights to full spec LEDs! The T5s were new at start up 2 months ago. I'm going to also now fill the second filter with phosguard or rowa phos Aqua.
Any other ideas you might have??

Algae growth is still the result of nutrients in the water column. Without them, it can't grow. Nutrients need to be exported when put into the system via feeding. Either cut back on feeding or do larger, more frequent water changes.

I have 2 strip damsels, 2 yellow tail damsels, (that's what I cycled my tank with),2 sand sifting gobys, 2 paired clowns and a brittle star and sand sifting star! I feed them a half cube to a third of frozen brine shrimp every other day and a small pinch of veggie flakes! Is this to much?

Back
Top Bottom