Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-25-2010, 04:48 PM   #141
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to harmy4993
Ya im excited to see what happens with the tank raised but definetly going to he closely watching the price. It may not be worth it till the buzz dies down if they are to much. If they are overly priced i dont have an issue raising copepods and waiting for the population to expand. My tanks big enough for it and i do have one concern with the tank breed ones. With wild ones you can watch them hunt copepods all day. Ive heard they are active hunters of copepods. If tank raised ones or taught to eat other things and are feed with other fish, rvery other day. Will they be "lazy" and lose that hunting like activity?

fan of http://www.reefcleaners.org/
harmy4993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:55 PM   #142
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmy4993 View Post
Ya im excited to see what happens with the tank raised but definetly going to he closely watching the price. It may not be worth it till the buzz dies down if they are to much. If they are overly priced i dont have an issue raising copepods and waiting for the population to expand. My tanks big enough for it and i do have one concern with the tank breed ones. With wild ones you can watch them hunt copepods all day. Ive heard they are active hunters of copepods. If tank raised ones or taught to eat other things and are feed with other fish, rvery other day. Will they be "lazy" and lose that hunting like activity?
Thats a very interesting question. I know I got 2 tank raised clows that had no idea what to do with an anemone. I have heard of one clown teaching another how to use the anemone, wish i still had my TB to experiment.

Dorm Pico Tank
Jimbo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:02 PM   #143
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Ok my fish tank really stinks...why? Its bad. Not rotten eggs badbut maybemini rotten egg bad. Its got a rotten smell to it.... bactiria die off from the rocks sitting. outside in freshwater maybe? Im hoping it goes.away quick cause this is 75 gallons of stink in my room
Old 06-25-2010, 10:06 PM   #144
is back to save the day!

You got the shrimp in there? Or what's in the tank? Live rock?
Old 06-25-2010, 10:10 PM   #145
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Rocks not live as i made them. 2 dead raw shrimp and 6 filter pads from my 10 gallon that i used to start my cycle with. That was started.with one shrimp on may 16 th
Old 06-25-2010, 10:18 PM   #146
is back to save the day!

It's probly the rotting/decaying of the shrimp, undoubtedly. My tank smelled like moldy death for a while when my tank was decaying. The smell should dissipate near the end of the cycle.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:24 PM   #147
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks zero. Im surpised more people dont mention the smell. Thats pretty bad. Notsome thing i want to get use to
Old 06-25-2010, 10:26 PM   #148
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could put some activated carbon to help absorb some of the odor from the water, or you could open a window... if the bacteria gets to it fast enough it won't smell as bad...
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #149
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well i got my test kit today..reading 1.0 ammonia nirite.0( little surpriaed by that but thats ok)

I also got my 2 power heads. I got 2 koralia evolutions 750 gph. Honestly not impressed with the flow. Doesnt seem like much.

I also got 2 filter caps to go over the pvc overflow
Old 06-29-2010, 07:51 PM   #150
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Quote:
Well i got my test kit today..reading 1.0 ammonia nirite.0( little surpriaed by that but thats ok)
You won't start to see nitrates until the end of they cycle. The first half or so of the cycle is just building the bacteria that convert ammonia into nitrites and the second half you will start to see the nitrites converted into nitrates as this second kind of bacteria starts to colonize in your tank.

The smell is partly because of the shrimp breaking down in your tank as well as the high levels of ammonia in your water. Both do not smell great. I have found it is helpful to take the lid of (if you have one on the tank) and open up some windows at a time you are going to be out of the house for a couple hours. Airs things out a bit.

I was looking at the pictures of your rock work. Hard to tell from the pictures but it looked like you had your rock sitting on top of the sand. If this is the case you are going to want to make sure your rock sits on the bottom of the tank and the sand fills in around it. Rock on top of sand produces dead spots in the sand that can compress and become solid and cause problems down the road. Also if you end up getting any fish or inverts that move sand you set your self up for them moving the sand and your rocks becoming unstable.

Tags
75g, build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com