Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-11-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Hitchhikers in new 29G biocube

This is my first post and my first saltwater tank. The tank was just set up a couple of days ago. I noticed some critters on the live rock (see attached). Can someone help ID what they are and whether they are good or bad?

Thanks for your help. This is all very exciting!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1115119532.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	207172   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-754355792.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	207173  

Old 11-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

hard to tell, but they look like aiptasaia.... if so, not good...

Old 11-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

aiptasia, no good, get rid of them
Old 11-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick replies. I just called the store I bought the rock from and they recommended Aiptasia Solution. I read that Berghia nudibranch are a good natural way to rid the tank of them. If I go with the latter I'll have to order them online since they're not available at my LFS.

Since this is my first saltwater tank any advice on how to rid my tank of them would be awesome.

Thanks!
Old 11-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Use a solution like aptasia-x, Joes juice, or kalkwasser paste in a syringe. Some also have had success with injecting them with lemon juice or boiling water. I would not buy the nudibranch, because if it's effective, and you run out of aptasia, it will starve to death.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithadaniels View Post
Thanks for the quick replies. I just called the store I bought the rock from and they recommended Aiptasia Solution. I read that Berghia nudibranch are a good natural way to rid the tank of them. If I go with the latter I'll have to order them online since they're not available at my LFS.

Since this is my first saltwater tank any advice on how to rid my tank of them would be awesome.

Thanks!
no no no, don't get the nudibranch. nudibranch only feeds off aiptasia. so when you're aiptasia free, the nudibranch will starve to death and rot in your tank. you can go with peppermint shrimps, they're a natural predator of the aiptasia. if you don't have anything in the tank and still in the middle of cycling your tank, i would nuke the liverock by pour some boiled water on top of them. also you can try the lemon juice/vinegar injection method as well.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I done it yesterday with boiling hot r.o water. Took me a couple of goes but it seems to have worked
Old 11-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

They will most likely be back. I tried the boiling water method, soaked the rock in unsalted water afterwards for several days and then let the rocks sit in the sun for a few more days. And a few days after putting it back in the tank they were back. They are the most resiliant critters I have ever come across.

I would keep an eye out for them and if they return zap with aipastia x or something else similar like Mr x said above.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:36 PM   #9

Oh boy I'm not very encouraged. It seems like I'll never be rid of them totally especially if I can't get to where they are not seen (against the tank wall or in spots I can't reach or see). Should I bring the rock back to the store, demand a refund, and start all over? Or is the damage done since they can now be in the live sand and water?
Old 11-11-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have just looked in my tank........ Turns out there still alive!!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com