How do Green Star Polyps spread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
have a powerhead blowing on them in the direction you want, but to be honest, after awhile you will be trimming back. they tend to spread easy. :mrgreen:

GSP are what are known as "encrusting corals". They spread much in the same manner as coraline algea does over rocks (but much slower).

lando said:
They spread much in the same manner as coraline algea does over rocks (but much slower).

I think mine actually grow faster than coraline :wink:

From my experence this is what I have seen. Newly introduced GSP or SP's in general will spread somewhat slowly at first. Its as if they need to acclomate to the tank conditions for a period of time. Then all of a sudden they will take off spreading upward to a couple inches a month. They will lay down a purple mat over the rock and the polpyps will extend from there.

jamal-188 said:
lando said:
They spread much in the same manner as coraline algea does over rocks (but much slower).

I think mine actually grow faster than coraline :wink:

mine grow about 5Xs as fast as correline. also, they don't need light to spread, i cut a piece of the mat off to frag them somewhere else and it fell behind a bunch of rock where no light was...... that mat is growing up the glass now, no polyps but the mat is spreading.

the strand I have might be unusual, I know about 6 people that bought stuff from my lfs have the same strand I do because a little piece fell of of my rock and spread over about 5 rocks with mushrooms!............. I have an extremely healthy strand of it though, not very pretty but VERY healthy. this a pic from about 2 months ago, it's mat is all over the back glass and has taken over every rock it is touching

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/download.php?id=9449

sorry I can't get the "

here's a pic of mine up close. sorry for the not so perfect pic. if you look on the back of the glass you'll see where it's starting to spread.
starburst0sk.jpg

I love these spreading star polyps, but would it be safe to assume that as it spreads along your live rock, that rock loses it's effectiveness as a filter?

Back
Top Bottom