How should I aquascape my super long, short tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtneyclv

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone,
So now that I have a good two months on my hands with letting my tank sit, I am working on getting more LR.

My tank is in a window cubby thing so I cant get to the back of it. Right now I have my LR simply put from side to side in the tank, all in a straight row. This is fine with me, but I have trouble seeing my creatures in the back. My tank is 15 inches tall and wide.

Should I? Take my LR and maybe make three big mounds of rock (left, middle, right) with spaces in between?

Do two super mounds just on each end?

Move my LR to the back of the tank and that will make the creatures and fish only be where I can see them?

Please post any pics if you have ideas. Thanks!

Attachments

• dscf2071_0229_672.jpg
    dscf2071_0229_672.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 145
The answer to your question is basically - whatever pleases you. I would avoid putting rock up against the rear glass, as this could cause problems from stagnant water. I put a ph in my tank low & along the back glass which shoots water between the rocks and the rear glass to avoid any problems.

There is nothing wrong with fish that hide periodically. I have some deep caves that are big enough for the fish to swim in while remaining hard to see. Whenever they get spooked, they shoot right in there. Fish need a sanctuary too.

A few peaks and some valleys would be nice and you sure have the room for them. An area with no rock could be a nice place to drop sinking food or place some anchored seaweed. Just a thought.

Well, aquasaping is really a personal preference. I have a 90g so my tank is much taller and I have created a cliff/dropoff affect along the back wall with vertical rock wall with lots of caves completely hiding the mega flow.

If I had your tank I think I would go with a long ridge down the center that has two tall peaks at each end of the tank with maybe one in the middle. I would also create a couple of tunnels/caves for the fish to swim through.

Have fun,

I agree with the rest. It's all how you like it. I have meoved mine around a few times. Now I am happy with it...for now...LOL!

afilter- You mean like three mounds of rocks with spaces in between? One on the left, middle, and right side.

Like this? HAHA

However you want it, I was thinking of one low lying ridge that extended the length of the tank with a high point on each end and possibly in the middle. You could even have a break in it along the way or put a piece of the break to creat a tunnel.

You have time try it one way and see how you like it then change it. Mine has been pretty much the same way for the last year since I upgraded to the 90g.

Good Luck,

Like the rest said, it is personal preference. With that length it would be cool to leave some open "valleys" in the middle.

I like the look you have in the pic. I tend to be into rather simplistic setups and yours looks great

Back
Top Bottom