how to stop my hermits from eating my coralline?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IhaveNemos

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi folks!

I finally got a box of live rock in my new 77gal SW tank. Some of it was covered with nice purple and red coralline algae ( im assuming from what I read here).

My problem is my blue legged hermits are eating the red algae with a gusto and leaving it bone white. Is there a way to stop this? I didnt want to overfeed and throw my water out of whack. I only have 4-6 in there right now as Im going to start slowly populating it in a few weeks.

Thanks in advance.

IME, I've never seen hermit crabs eat Coraline Algae. It might be that you're experiencing some die-off of Coraline and your crabs are just on top of the rock looking for food among the Coraline. If this is the case, it's common to have Coraline diminish a bit from newly cured rock.

I'd also opt for the scarlet reef or red tip hermits. Seems as though the blues are a lot more agressive anyway. I agree with Brodie on your coraline disappearing.

Perhaps I've misidentfied my red "stuff", I'd roughly compare it to lichens(solid no "arms") you would see on land rock. The only reason I asked is I see most (3)of the crabs on it the vast majority of the day...perhaps a 4"x3" area.

Thanks for your help.

I am sure they are just hunting for food. LR comes with all sorts of little things on it that they scavege for.

Also you will probably see some coraline die-off. Just a little while out of water will cause coraline to turn white. Crabs pick on the lr all the time. It may look like there eating it, but they are not. :wink:

Thanks folks 8)

I was worried about the few "nice" pieces of LR I had lol. I just noticed a spare shrimp came along with it and some little feather dusters.Im hooked :mrgreen:

Oh oh more to learn lol!

Welll, they are hiding in my rocks. They normally have their circular "fans" out and every now and then pull them in. The are brown in colour with white markings. I'll put a pic in when I get my digicam back from being on loan.

Back
Top Bottom