Perhaps I did not have the meter setup correctly - will have to borrow it from work again next week and retest. I am pretty sure I had it set to read AC
, but maybe I had it on DC
. I really don't think voltage would be my problem - while there is no doubt some stray voltage could travel up the returns, there is nothing electrical inside the DT at all - the powerheads are MP10's, so all the electric is on the outside of the tank. The rest of the electrics are in the sump. But I will check again.
In the mean time, I have made some changes to the tank:
I added a BRS carbon reactor and am running Rox 0.8 carbon in it. I thought my tank was clear before but holy cow, there is a noticeable difference in the water clarity.
I changed my lighting duration to be a bit less - it was recommended to me by a couple of reefers over on RC. I now have 12 hours of total light, but only 6 hours at the peak intensity of 35% white, 45% blue.
I have been watching my alk
closely - and it is dropping weekly. I wonder if the swings in alk
caused by doing water changes is a contributor to my issues? I am looking seriously at a 2 part auto dosing system. If I rely on manual dosing of 2 part, I know I will get lazy and skip doses. Automation is my friend. For now, my alk
seems to be around 10-11 after a ~15% water change, but tests at ~8-9dKH before a water change.
The good news is, the hammer I added a few weeks ago is actually doing pretty well. This is a record for me, as I have killed 3 hammers previously, and they all died much faster than anything else I have added to the tank, inside a week or 10 days I would say. This one has no noticeable decline and actually is looking pretty good. Maybe the increase in water changes and the slight changes to lighting have had a positive effect.
We shall see...