Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #121
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had a bad situation with the coral pro mix because it would make my alk too high. So I use the regular red sea. I do gotta douse some calcium but not much. Defiantly mix the bag for quite a while to get a full mix because all the stuff slowly goes to the bottom and can mess up the mix if it was sitting for awhile in the store.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #122
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I would say it isn't the lighting if their just fading away over time and not bleaching.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:20 PM   #123
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Any improvement with the corals?
skywhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #124
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay, update. I've been dealing with stray voltage issues and I'm like 100% positive you didn't read 0.0v in your tank (unless you have a grounding probe, in which case you should unplug it/remove it before you test). Maybe you had the meter on DC current instead of AC current or a bad meter or something. I'm starting to think around 20 or so volts is normal but if for some reason yours is much higher than that it could be an issue.
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #125
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Perhaps I did not have the meter setup correctly - will have to borrow it from work again next week and retest. I am pretty sure I had it set to read AC, but maybe I had it on DC. I really don't think voltage would be my problem - while there is no doubt some stray voltage could travel up the returns, there is nothing electrical inside the DT at all - the powerheads are MP10's, so all the electric is on the outside of the tank. The rest of the electrics are in the sump. But I will check again.

In the mean time, I have made some changes to the tank:

I added a BRS carbon reactor and am running Rox 0.8 carbon in it. I thought my tank was clear before but holy cow, there is a noticeable difference in the water clarity.

I changed my lighting duration to be a bit less - it was recommended to me by a couple of reefers over on RC. I now have 12 hours of total light, but only 6 hours at the peak intensity of 35% white, 45% blue.

I have been watching my alk closely - and it is dropping weekly. I wonder if the swings in alk caused by doing water changes is a contributor to my issues? I am looking seriously at a 2 part auto dosing system. If I rely on manual dosing of 2 part, I know I will get lazy and skip doses. Automation is my friend. For now, my alk seems to be around 10-11 after a ~15% water change, but tests at ~8-9dKH before a water change.

The good news is, the hammer I added a few weeks ago is actually doing pretty well. This is a record for me, as I have killed 3 hammers previously, and they all died much faster than anything else I have added to the tank, inside a week or 10 days I would say. This one has no noticeable decline and actually is looking pretty good. Maybe the increase in water changes and the slight changes to lighting have had a positive effect.

We shall see...
fort384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #126
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384 View Post
Perhaps I did not have the meter setup correctly - will have to borrow it from work again next week and retest. I am pretty sure I had it set to read AC, but maybe I had it on DC. I really don't think voltage would be my problem - while there is no doubt some stray voltage could travel up the returns, there is nothing electrical inside the DT at all - the powerheads are MP10's, so all the electric is on the outside of the tank. The rest of the electrics are in the sump. But I will check again.

In the mean time, I have made some changes to the tank:

I added a BRS carbon reactor and am running Rox 0.8 carbon in it. I thought my tank was clear before but holy cow, there is a noticeable difference in the water clarity.

I changed my lighting duration to be a bit less - it was recommended to me by a couple of reefers over on RC. I now have 12 hours of total light, but only 6 hours at the peak intensity of 35% white, 45% blue.

I have been watching my alk closely - and it is dropping weekly. I wonder if the swings in alk caused by doing water changes is a contributor to my issues? I am looking seriously at a 2 part auto dosing system. If I rely on manual dosing of 2 part, I know I will get lazy and skip doses. Automation is my friend. For now, my alk seems to be around 10-11 after a ~15% water change, but tests at ~8-9dKH before a water change.

The good news is, the hammer I added a few weeks ago is actually doing pretty well. This is a record for me, as I have killed 3 hammers previously, and they all died much faster than anything else I have added to the tank, inside a week or 10 days I would say. This one has no noticeable decline and actually is looking pretty good. Maybe the increase in water changes and the slight changes to lighting have had a positive effect.

We shall see...
Sweet, voltage in the sump means voltage in the DT as well. Water is good at conducting!

Wonder why your alk is dropping so fast. Are you keeping an eye on calcium as well because they go hand in hand to form calcium carbonate.

Congrats, looking forward to a thriving hammer!
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #127
Aquarium Advice Addict

Glad to hear the hammer looks good and the others rebounding. I firmly believe with the change of water (I,e. your new batch of salt), increased water changes, increased light, & adding carbon will make the difference!
Old 09-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #128
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Scottay, Ca has not been dropping much at all, just alk. There has been a ton of coralline growth over the last few months, so maybe that is soaking up the excess carbonate, but it has definitely not been a linear relationship between Ca and Alk levels.

Saltwater is a good conductor, but I think it would take a heck of a lot of current in the sump in the form of stray voltage to really get much stray voltage at all to the DT. I will check it again next week and you can say I told you so if I get some abnormally high reading, but I am doubting this is the culprit. It is worth a recheck to verify though, and I will check just about anything at this point!
Old 09-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #129
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort384
Scottay, Ca has not been dropping much at all, just alk. There has been a ton of coralline growth over the last few months, so maybe that is soaking up the excess carbonate, but it has definitely not been a linear relationship between Ca and Alk levels.
Ah. It may be magnesium and strontium that's low. Coralline algae growth taxes strontium and magnesium hard. From what I've read coralline algae is made up of strontium but also requires magnesium, bicarbonates and calcium and when it has a burst of growth it can drop those levels.

Some people struggle to get it to grow by carefully monitoring their calcium and alkalinity without success. Magnesium and strontium also play a role in keeping your dKH levels stable. It's worth reading up on. May even have a sticky on it somewhere on here.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #130
Dividing by 0
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Mg is not low at all. It was on the high end of the scale (1400).

Have not tested strontium.

I did go ahead and order some kick butt components to get an automated 2 part dosing system up and running. Should be here next week.

Tags
coral

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com