Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-21-2006, 09:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

i think my heater malfunctioned!!!

i bought my tank and stand 3 weeks ago. it came with a filter and a heater. i haven't needed to use my heater yet, but today my water temp dropped to about 76 degrees so i plugged in my heater and set it for 79 degrees.

a few hours later, i checked and my temp was at 85??? isn't it supposed to automatically turn off once it reaches 79? does this sound like a faulty heater? it's an All Glass American brand by the way. good thing i don't have any livestock, for i'm in the process of cycling my tank. i hope it doesn't affect my LR in any way. will it?

Old 10-21-2006, 09:25 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Trash the all-glass heater and get a Visitherm brand. I had the same problem with the all-glass heaters. It is faulty.

Ebo also has good quality heaters.

HTH

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:50 AM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree that something is wrong with that heater. DT told you of a good product

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 09:57 AM   #4

I have a faulty all glass heater. I believe it is a faulty dial setting. On my heater I set it to 74F to have it stay a steady 80F. Just do not let the water temp get too high or low quick. It should be a gradual increase or decrease.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:35 AM   #5

thanks for the advice guys!!! i think i'll look into a Visitherm as DT stated...anyone know where i can can a good deal on one?
Old 10-21-2006, 10:45 AM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Depends if you need one now or not. LFS if you need it now or Liveaquaria.com if you can wait a week or two. Just dont wait too long and have wild temp swings. Stable is the key.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 10:47 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Viperboy
I use this one on my 29gal and love it and works awesome ... HTH

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...hheater150watt

Ray
Old 10-21-2006, 12:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Your heater didn't necessarily malfunction, the dial is probably wrong on it, I have an All Glass that came with a package I purchased and got used to the dial being wrong, I set it like you use to have to with the old ones, which is to look at your temp, if you want ot go higher, turn it on until the light comes on and let it run until the light turns off, repeat until you ge to your desired temp. Once I got to the temp I wanted, I have not had any temp swings.

As for your high temp, I noticed you are in Phoenix, I would imagine it is still way above 85 there. Where is your tank, does it sit next to awindow, what is the temp in the room where it sits?

26g of water will change temps allot faster than 55gal, so I am wondering if room temp is your problem. Also, are you running a UV sterilizer or MH lights? I am also thinking the return on the HOB filter might allow the water to heat closer to ambient RT as well. Same theory as with the 26 gal tank being easier to heat up than a 55gal. You have water sitting in a smaller tank (HOB filter box) with a better chance of picking up heat than in the tank, and the thin film of water flowing, also has a chance to pick up heat. Usually not a problem for most folks, but in AZ might prove a problem if the room youhave the tank set in is above 80 or gets allot of sun.

Just spouting stuff off to try to save you from having to buy another heater just now.. Might want to check on some of those things.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:40 PM   #9

good looking out Finatic...my tank sits about 5" away from a wall in the center of my living room, not anywhere near a window. Unfortunately, I don't have a sterilizer of MH lights yet. So far, I have been cycling my tank for about 2 weeks now and I haven't had the lights on. I turn it on once in a while to look at my rocks, but not more than maybe 10-20 mins at a time. Yeah, AZ is hot but I have my ac on all the time and my RT is about 75 degrees. I will definitely try the dial adjustments just as you and Bamboo have mentioned.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I thought you might have an AC' location. If you are more comfortable with a new heater, I understand, I will probably get one here soon as well. The thing I highly recommend is ONLINE purchases for equipment. Even with shipping you will come out much cheaper than in an LFS. Hate to say it, because I like the guy that runs my LFS, but I can't justify that type of price for stuff.

I like www.webaquatics.com he usually ships the same day he gets the order, or next day at latest and I have been happy with his prices and stuff. I got my PC lights from him at a good price and with no hassels when it showed up with broken bulbs.

Visitherm is a good heater from what I have read, and I have also read the Won makes a good heater that comes with a probe you put at a different spot in the tank than the heater itself.

Have fun.

Tags
eat, eater, heater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com