Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2005, 03:32 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Copper is dangerous to inverts and scale-less fish. A lionfish is a scaleless fish. So, I would definately consider that as a major concern.

IMHO, this set up is not ideal. There is no live rock or live sand. This is a major part of your filtration that is missing.

A lion fish is a live-food preditor. That means there will be ALOT of DOC's in the water. A protien skimmer pulls these docs out of the water. Your gonna need a good skimmer, otherwise your going to have cyano and Red slime.

The lights will be sufficient for a fish only tank. Any kind of corals will require at least power compact or VHO lighting.

The filter will be good for water circulation and pulling particles out of the water, but wont do much for the nitrogen cycle. That is mainly from your LR and LS.

If it were me, I would offer him 150.00 for the whole deal. You can get a 55 gallon tank at petco, with stand, for around 150.00. So the tank, and the used equipment...150.00 max and then use the other 150 to upgrade your equipment.

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 07:30 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks alot guys (and gals ) for the feedback. I was planning on buying all the liverock and substrate later (before starting the tank up). After reading all the replys, I will not take any chances and buy a new tank. I was at Petco looking at tank prices and noticed that it will cost me atleast $300 for tank, stand and hood. I started to think that since I was going to upgrade or replace alot of the things he is including, I might as well start from zero. I continue with my research and continue to post any future questions (which will be alot ). Again, thnkx.

Angel

Old 03-23-2005, 08:32 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I continue with my research and continue to post any future questions (which will be alot ).
I hope you stick around...we are just getting started!
Old 03-23-2005, 09:06 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando
Quote:
I continue with my research and continue to post any future questions (which will be alot ).
I hope you stick around...we are just getting started!
I will be bugging you guys so much that you will be telling me to bugger off 8)

Angel
Old 03-23-2005, 10:41 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
I will be bugging you guys so much that you will be telling me to bugger off
As pleasurable as that sounds, it's not true on this board. Occasionally, you get a jerk who posts a LOL response to a serious question, but most of the people truly want to help, and the advisors are great.

So, keep posting; keep asking questions. That's what I did, and my tank is REALLY starting to look good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 11:08 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mass here too Brockton Ma

Are You Pondering What I'm Pondering?
I think so Brain, but there's still a bug in there from last time.
aquanaut is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com