Is this coralline algae or cyano emerging?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlwn88

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone,

Upgraded my salt water tank from my 40g to 75g three weeks ago. I already have some coralline algae but no it looks like I have a darker version growing and I just want to identify it early so I know what to do. I had a small diatom bloom after the upgrade but nothing crazy, and now this is showing up...I took a photo of two of the only non-live rocks in my tank so you can see it better. It blends real well with the coralline I have on my live rock but it's a little darker.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Salinity 1.024
Nitrate 10
Phosphates 0

img_1285928_0_6e453f74c4cd39967f7838b3e20ca1cd.jpg

img_1285928_1_9eda81092bf1368a0166eb5e6d4cd336.jpg

Only things that have changed are that I recently have been feeding my new Copperband Butterfly mussels, green shell mussels from New Zeland in a box from the local sea market, but I only leave it in for half an hour and been doing this for 3 days now. Could this add nutrients into the water to cause this? Also, I moved my heater from inside the aquarium inside my wet/dry sump, and my temp has been increasing. I came home and it was 79...most my fish according to liveaquaria.com want 73-78. Other then that nothing out of the normal...I keep my lights on 8 hours a day.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

-Dave

If it`s coralline then it will hard and wont scrape off easily with your fingernail but if it`s cyano it will be soft and slimey and will easily come off.

Back
Top Bottom