Is this normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikenhecker1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I started my firs saltwater tank about three weeks ago and it has not cycled yet. I don't know if I should invest in anymore in livestock. I have two naked goby's, a blue leg hermit, and an Australian domino damsel. They are in a 25 gallon bowfront with a canister filter. The goby's have already laid eggs and they hatched.

image-2076866763.jpg

And a Zoa coral also

About ten pounds and same in sand. ok I was wandering. I am about to start water changing.

image-3508411820.jpg

Three fish crab and coral all in one pic. Hard to see the gobys and the crab but they are there

you should have another 30 lbs of rock and maybe another 10 lbs of sand. Its usually 1 1/2 pounds of rock per gal. if its porous rock like figi or 2 lbs if its dense rock like atlantic

I bought cultured Fiji from petco and I know it's not the best but it has some purple Algae on it. I'm piecing it together a little at a time. I'm at about 200$ on the entire thing and want to get a better light next. Next I am going to tackle my four foot rectangle next for a DT. I should also add that I got 20 gallons of my water from the gulf of Mexico and the naked goby's came from there as well as a couple of small pieces of live-rock.

tonedogz said:
you should have another 30 lbs of rock and maybe another 10 lbs of sand. Its usually 1 1/2 pounds of rock per gal. if its porous rock like figi or 2 lbs if its dense rock like atlantic

+1
I agree, the live rock should be more. Sand should be a couple inches deep.

I am collecting LR from as many different places that I can. Don't know if it helps but I want it to be as diverse as possible.

image-3350213208.jpg

There are a couple inches of sand, I used 1 bag of "live sand" I got from petco. And a quarter of a pillow case of beach sand from Florida.

It's coming along. :)You don't need a certain amount of sand like someone posted before (you could go without any sand), but what you have is fine. I agree you should add more rock though, and it doesn't have to be live, it can be dry. Just saying damsels are known for being territorial so watch out for aggression when you add a new fish. What are your parameters? If you don't have a test kit already, I'd say it's a necessity so that you can know when to add another fish, how to fix a problem, etc. Don't get a new fish until you test your water and know that the cycle is over (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, low level of nitrate). I'd think that the damsel (can be extremely hardy) and apparently the gobies are surviving in levels of ammonia and nitrite which are very toxic. A new addition wouldn't be so "lucky".

Although I agree a deep sand bed is not totally required I would recommend it.
Since you are already set up adding more sand will most likely make a mess and possibly create additional stress on your critters.

If your interested in finding more about deep sand beds just Google it, there is a ton of info out there.

Well I got up this morning and my damsel was a goner. It was fine yesterday. I need to get a test kit soon. Well at least it wasn't a fifty dollar fish d:-(

Sorry that you lost the damsel. I don't know how those gobies are still living :(. If they pass too, don't get more fish, just do a fishless cycle (by adding table shrimp and letting it decay).

Bummer, sorry to hear. I would wait until the cycle is completely finished before adding more fish.
Good luck with the govt, hope it makes it through the cycle.

You mentioned setting up a 4' square for another tank. Please research fishless cycling before you do. It's way more kind to the fish and you can do a much more strong cycle due to higher nitrogen levels.

You have a handful at this point. You should seriously consider getting a very strong CUC a master reef test kit and live rock, dry, cured, anything really, and embrace the worms, lol, unless they are eunice.

I agree. I'm not buying anything else before it cycles. I'm just hard headed.
I need a ro/di setup and a good light before I get too serious. And a test kit. But I'm still closer than I have been before. Next time I will be ready :)

So sorry- CUC= clean up crew, usually consists of peanut worms, bristle worms, sand sifting star fish, small crustaceans and inverts. I know a lot of people buy CUC, but honestly if you have a good saltwater lfs and you ask them and look closely at the live rock for "hitch hikers" you can usually get your CUC from your live rock, and once your tank is cycled to where you are past the diatoms you can get a cleaner shrimp or any other type of crustacean or invert that suits your set up, you're getting there, just jumped the gun a little:D(y)

Back
Top Bottom