Jgraz's Finally a Proper Tank 90 Upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jgraz

Aquarium Advice Freak
And so it begins. Finally I'm gonna get a proper upgrade. I decided to go with a AGA 90 RR. Many reason for this decision but I wont get into it yet. I only got the tank, since I'm gonna build my own stand. Starting that tomorrow. Its really gonna be a slow build, which is the reason im building the stand. It will help slow things down a bit and keep me from spending money I don't have yet.

The system:
90gal RR
DIY stand
Skimmer: probably a NAC 7
Return Pump: Mag 9.5 or equivilant I may go with a bigger pump and split it off for reactors
Lights: Undecided leaning towards T5 but might go LED
Sump: Most likely a custom built. Im in contact with a couple of guys on M.R. that build them
Flow: Im leaning towards Sicce Voyagers ATM. I figure 2 of the 2800's or 1-2800 and 1-3600
Im gonna try to stay away from MP-40. I just can't stand the noise or the price. And
frankly Im not impressed with the mp-10 in my nano.
The rest will come as it comes. Even most of the above is up for consideration. I know one thing is for sure Im going with Reef Rocks for the aquascape. I love it in the nano and I have already been in contact with Steve there for a custom scape. Not too much to show yet but here are a couple of worthless pics. Hopefully some of the stand build to follow.
img_1984619_0_e6a5bc2ae704a22f5601c91a84482db3.jpg

img_1984619_1_f034a5b8689d1362386ae0c5a65f63ce.jpg

Good luck with the build, Jgraz. When it takes awhile and you do it yourself, it makes it all the more gratifying when you see what you've accomplished. :)

Ok a little help here. Im thinking about a return pump I was pretty positive that I would use a eheim 1262. Will that be enough pump to handle the return at approximately 4.5'head and still run a dual BRS reactor hung above my sump.
Also I was thinking of taking my current nano which is a 20h with a gl*******s overflow rated at 300gph and a 1/2" return and tying it into this system as a frag tank. If I do that should I use a seperate pump for it or can I just get a bigger pump say a sicce 5 and split it 3 ways for both tanks and the dual reactor. Thanks in advance guys.

I would personally get a different pump. but if you did decide to get a bigger pump and split the supply then make sure you add a check vavle that goes to your nano. you dont want all that pressure going to such a small tank.

Just a little update. Got a little more done with the stand. Hopefully by the weekend I'll be ready for the doors.
Also got my skimmer coming. Going with a SWC 160. That's all for now.

img_1993858_0_4fbbaf10c730fbde10f59227ba75bfd3.jpg

Tank painted. Still waiting on the doors.
Nano comes down over the next few days then the 90 will move into place.
img_2015446_0_45f8825bd234628a3c58dd1f5abc14a0.jpg

Next up: Lights and Sump

Gonna have the sump built for me. Size is gonna be 30"x 15". Just not sure of the configuration yet.
Gonna be this
img_2020503_0_084d92fbe33c0a6c22944263d38536fb.jpg

Or this
img_2020503_1_b477d5e893386376ab385a374cc6e6ad.jpg

They are from a guy on Manhatten Reefs (Custom King). Just gotta make choice. Both are acrylic and are about 27 gal full and run at 15 gal. I would love to have a bit bigger but these would leave me room in the stand for top off and other equipment. What does everyone think.

I'd go with the second option. The movement of the water seems better. First the skimmer would get it then through the fuge then return. Its the way I would do it but I'm no expert. I only have room under my 90 for a 29 long. Your going with the mag 9.5 for the return?

That's the sump I'm leaning towards.
As for return pump, I am gonna use a mag 9.5 but only cause I'm getting it for free. So I'll save a bit of money now. Later though I'll probably switch to a eheim 1262 or a sicce syncra 4

I thought mags were supposed to be pretty good? Idk I have an external pump now. It takes up too much space though. I saw sicce pumps for the first time a few days ago. Are they any good?

Quick update
img_2027469_0_64734dea1c7907e832f09dd84f653201.jpg

Still gotta do second coat on doors.
Light is on. TEK 8 bulb. These legs are flimsy. I'm gonna hang it anyway.
Skimmers in. SWC 160 cone.
Sump is ordered and getting built. Gonna go with a guy on manhatten reefs. Rich(Rkaragozler) make glass sumps. That's what I wanted. That's what I got. Best thing is I only pay for glass and silicon. Can't beat it.
For flow I have decided to start with 2 mp10's, and my koralia 750's from my other tank. I will remove the 750's later and add another mp10. I just can't afford 2 mp40's. So I figure this is the next best thing. It should offer me plenty of flow. Rock is ordered from reefrocks.com. Haven't decided on sand yet. Got it narrowed between Fiji Pink live sand or a 50/50 mix of Tropic Eden reef flakes and mini flakes. Well that's it for now. Thanks for looking.

Looks good. Are you doing a two tank setup? I've been thinking of that as well with some low flow species like horses. Would be cool. Also on another note, the tank gibes a nice reflection when you take pics. (polka dot boxers) lol

I knew there was a pic I forgot to change. They are actually ESPN boxers. Hahaha.
I'm hoping the wife will like the smaller tank next to it. I don't think she will though. I was planning on using it as a frag tank or possibly a displayed refugium. Not sure yet.

Back
Top Bottom