Lighting a 125.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfool58

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys, I have a 4 bulb 48 inch t5ho wave point. Got it basically dirt cheap.. But never started corals in my 55.. Now I've got the oppurtunity to make a 125 gallon salt, using the 55 sump. What corals will that light be able to grow? Or is that light not gonna be satisfying enough to grow anything I'd want..

If the 125 is 6' long then it will not be enough light I have a 48" t5 4 bulb on mine right now because my canopy is to short for the MH's I was going to use. Now I will be ordering 3 led light fixtures for my 125.

It is the 6 foot long tank, & alright, I wasn't sure if it would grow anything at least directly under the light, then grow the lower light corals on the out skirts of the light?

Okay, so basically invest in some LED lights.. For a 125, what's a good LED light system, that's not gonna break me...

I myself will be going for the ones that Doug mr_x has recommended to me taotronics 120 dimmeable ones. On ebay.

I want to spend enough of that will grow my corals & strive, without needing to get a second job.. Lol.

For about 150-175 x 3, you can get the LEDs I use. Check my build thread. Google "taotronics dimmable led aquarium light"

mr_X said:
For about 150-175 x 3, you can get the LEDs I use. Check my build thread. Google "taotronics dimmable led aquarium light"

That's not bad, & thanks so much. I think that's what I'll do.. A lot of people close to me in fish stores, not petsmart or anything, say they don't like LEDs, because they don't think the technology has advanced enough in that section.. & I really don't want to use MH's because I already have reptiles that use heat lamps, & my power bill is already a decent one.

The bottom line is putting enough PAR in the tank so that photosynthetic creatures can grow/thrive. LED lighting has been proven to be the most efficient in doing so. Anyone who says they aren't advanced enough doesn't have any experience with them.

There are some very advanced and efficient LED fixtures on the market for aquariums these days. The problem is that the prices are "sky's the limit". I've seen LED fixtures for over $5k for a 48" canopy. Compare that with the $600 I spent on a 2x250W MH + 2x54W T5 canopy and the choice is pretty clear.

Just buy the LED fixtures that come with the same options as your MH unit, and you don't have to spend that. You could spend about $350.00 and light your current tank nicely, and use 240 watts total.

Just buy the LED fixtures that come with the same options as your MH unit, and you don't have to spend that. You could spend about $350.00 and light your current tank nicely, and use 240 watts total.

Can you post some current pictures with your led lights over your tank?
What would be a good distance to hang them from the water level in the tank?

They are all in my build thread. I don't have a lot of FTS shots due to the fact that's it's pretty hard getting the whole 8' in the picture, but you should get an idea.

Back
Top Bottom