Lighting at Night?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leeb343

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all with my new tank the shop I got it from says I need a light on at night to so I got a night light but other places say I don't need one at night anyone got any advice much appreciated
Thanks

Interesting topic. Some believe that it is helpful while others believe it is only pleasing to the human eye. I don't see where it is needed. I have them on my reef so I can watch it at night, that's it.

I keep my moonlights on a hour after and a hour before my main lights for an added dawn/dusk effect but they still have about 10 hours of darkness.

Mrc8858 said:
I keep my moonlights on a hour after and a hour before my main lights for an added dawn/dusk effect but they still have about 10 hours of darkness.

I don't think having a light on 24/7 is good for fish or corals but The idea of an hour of blue light in the morning and at night is great! I think I will adopt that practice!

I don't think having a light on 24/7 is good for fish or corals but The idea of an hour of blue light in the morning and at night is great! I think I will adopt that practice!

Moonlights are very low wattage and only provide a shimmer effect on the water. It doesn'tpenetrate enough to effect chiral and as for fish, what would they do when the mon is out? Running moonlights 24/7 doesn't cause issues.

Sniperhank said:
My moonlighting is always on because I'm lazy and got tired of setting up timers for all my lights.

Haha great honest answer lol. I have moonlights on my cube until 3am then total darkness until sunrise at 7am. Oh and my moonlight starts at 8pm. I have the AI fixture so I get that ramp up and down nice and slow.

On my 75g African tank I'd have to go with what hank said. I'm too lazy to setup timers etc so there on 24/7. There not really that bright anyway and if your looking at the tank at night it just gives you a hint of what's going on.

Put it this way.... I tried to take a picture and its too dark to show up. But in person it's nice and gives off a nice shimmer effect.

For the most part, ask pics of Moonlite tanks shows very little of any blue...my track being the exception...and for 50 bucks I better have an amazing shimmer.

Sniperhank said:
For the most part, ask pics of Moonlite tanks shows very little of any blue...my track being the exception...and for 50 bucks I better have an amazing shimmer.

Yeah I hear that! Wish I paid 50! I paid 90 for two 3 LED strips, a transformer and plug extension. Guess its really not that bad. I dunno... I get a really nice shimmer though...

Sniperhank said:
Moonlights are very low wattage and only provide a shimmer effect on the water. It doesn'tpenetrate enough to effect chiral and as for fish, what would they do when the mon is out? Running moonlights 24/7 doesn't cause issues.

My bad for not being clear when I said 24/7. I was referring to to daylights not moons.;-)

Here's a shot of my tank with moonlights... The flash lit it up but you can get an idea of how dark it would be.. I still need to setup my moonlights at the new house though...

This would probably help haha

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121013_092627.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121013_092627.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 82
Mrc8858 said:
Here's a shot of my tank with moonlights... The flash lit it up but you can get an idea of how dark it would be.. I still need to setup my moonlights at the new house though...

Wow! You can hardly tell there on ;)

Wish I had paid that much I paid $600 for moonlights and day lights with fans and controller. But my tank is 100 gallons 24" height 48"wide and 18"depth.

Sniperhank said:

Sry, should have been clear when I wrote 24/7. I meant daylights. :)

I've never heard of anybody leaving daylights on 24/7. That would be terrible for the fish. How could they sleep ? No eyelids.
And that might cause bad algae problems too.
Better total darkness at night than daylights.

Back
Top Bottom