lighting. watts per gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiredfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
what is a good way to figure out how many watts per gallon a tank is getting? is there like a formula? or am i just a big dummy? :?

well add up how many watt you have in your lighting and divide by how many gal of water your tank holds

ex:

i have 2x 96 watt bulbs on my tank so that would be 192 watts total and it is on a 46 gal tank so 192/46 = 4.173

4.2 is my watt per gal. hope this helps

239W (1 X 175W MH and 2 X 32W PC)/20g = 11.95 WPG ;)

WPG sucks, tell us what your keeping, what kind of light you have and how much and we will tell you if it should work ;)

WPG sucks, tell us what your keeping, what kind of light you have and how much and we will tell you if it should work

Agreed. This works well in the FW world, but not so well in the SW world. This is because so many inverts have different lighting requirements.

ok so i just brought home some corals soft ones. and i am wondering if my light is going to be able to handle them. 1 big soft leather mushroom i think. it looks like a carpet anemone but it a lot taller and has the little stubss on the top of the coral. then i got a blue finger leather. looks like a stick with a lot of fingers all pointing up. vary light blue. will 1x 96 watt 10,000k and 1x 96 watt 03 on a 46 gal tank be good to make them grow? the lfs that i got them from said oh ya there lighting was like 1/2 of what mine is and the tank was about the same size. and how would i feed them? or do i not have to?

1 big soft leather mushroom i think. it looks like a carpet anemone but it a lot taller and has the little stubss on the top of the coral.

Close, Toadstool leather.

will 1x 96 watt 10,000k and 1x 96 watt 03 on a 46 gal tank be good to make them grow?

Personally I think it is marginal, but should work.

Back
Top Bottom