Lights on during cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pwilk20

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I started my cycle 4 days ago. Kept the lights on for 12 hrs. Now my beautiful rock from Liverocks.com is turning brownish. Is this normal? Should I leave the lights off during cycle? I`m afraid to loose the gorgeous purple/redish algae on the rocks. :cry:

One more question. Should I add a shrimp to speed up the cycling process?

Thanks,

Paul.

Some people will tell you not to run your lights while others tell you to run your lights. You will probably get a difference of opinion with your question. FYI, I didn't run the lights at all when my tank was cycling. I really don't think it will make much of a difference either way though.

One more question. Should I add a shrimp to speed up the cycling process

No, you don't need the shrimp. The die-off on the LR is more than enough to complete the cycle process. Adding the shrimp won't speed this up.

Ok, no shrimp then. I`ll try to go without lights for the rest of the cycle. Will this cause the good algae to die? And if so, will it eventually come back?

Paul.

IME, the lights are not nessisary, but are a good idea. Simply put, coralline needs light to live. 3-6 weeks with out light and its dead. Will it survive the cycle with the lights? Some of it...I run mine, but only on a limited basis. 4-6 hours a day is plenty. You dont want to generate nuisance algaes that you will have to fight later.

Squishy

Back
Top Bottom