Loud Tank Humm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roadster33

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank is in the living room and it makes a strong humming sound. What have you done to eliminate the humming/buzzing?

I was thinking about putting styrofoam or dynamat on the bottom of the sump(wet/dry). What do you think?

Is getting the durso standpipe going to make a difference as the sound is not a waterfall sound but more of a bzzzzzzz or hmmmmmmmm sound similar to a washing machine/dryer.

Just iritating

Please help with your advise

Thank you:puppydogeyes:

I get the same thing on my tank, you could try foam under the sump.. Might help or might not. How is your return pump mounted? If its just sitting in the sump then it could just be resonance.. Could try putting pump on suction cups or something like that to get it off the bottom of the tank..

HTH
Shane.

Hmmmm sound

Added the suction cups to the return pump (Rio HF 17). Doesn't seem to be touching the walls of the sump other than the sump bottom.

I was thinking about trying the foam but wasn't too sure if it would help the noise and might hinder my flow.

Has anybody used dynamat or similar material on the tank stand?
Any luck?

I have a gap of 6in from the wall to the tank to allow air circulation.
Too much gap....( i haven't tried moving as a 90gal tank is a B*** to move back and forth.)

Sound

Discovered the noisey culprit...it is the return pump.

I tried having the pump sit on a foam pad in the sump - no difference
applied dynamat between sump and stand - no difference

Would adding foam tube insulation around the return line help?

Has anybody added foam tubing to muffle the sound?

Please help

Pat

Ya Ive neard of people doing that, usually they do it with clear tubing near the sump to stop the light from causing algae growth inside the pipe. Not sure if it will help with noise or not though, do you have the return tube fastened to the stand? or is it loose and vibrating against something? Usually a noise like that is caused by the tube touching something and making alot of noise.. If the return pump isnt touching anything and the return pipe isnt touching anything either then maybe there is something inside the pump. Or pump needs to be cleaned?? Could also be if you have rigid PVC where the return comes over the top of the tank it could be vibrating from touching the top of the tank.. Maybe some foam or something under there will help.. If its plumbed through bulkheads then thats probably not it unless the return and drain tubes are touching each other..

HTH
Shane.

mine sits on an old mouse pad. Unless your return piping is rigid pvc, I doubt that is the hum.

Help

The pump is a brand new Rio HF 17...Are they notorious for being loud?
Added foam underneath the return pump in the sump
Added dynamat under the sump
Re-arranged the Rio Pump in the sump

Is there a quieter pump equal to the volume of water pumped than the Rio HF 17?

After I solve this noise issue, I want to add my in-sump protein skimmer. It is a Red Sea Berlin sysem - will this make it louder?
Also, I was thinking about adding a foam cover to the sump/return area to 1) contol the microbubbles from the protein skimmer 2) deaden some of the sound from the top of the sump...

What do you think?

Sooo.. the other approach would be to add the insulation/foam/wateva to the cabinet.. and try sound proofing it that way..

Back
Top Bottom