Maintaining balance between top and sump tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theedudenator

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been reading about setting up the sump tank, but I am still a bit confused.

I plan on using a plain glass tank for my sump - no dividers.

I suppose I should maintain the water level in the sump to prevent any overflows.

If my retun pump fails, I should set my upper syphon level to suck air before the sump tank is full?

If my syphon stops, I should let my pump suck air befor my top tank overflows? - This would require a reduced water level in the top tank?

Or do I need to get float switches for all this??
I really do NOT want any water on my floor

I found this website...

Is this what I need to do to my tank to make a better sump???

http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/glass/

Ok, first of all, forget the siphon. Get an overflow box instead. If it looks a bit pricy, consider what would happen to the siphon if the power turned off and back on again while you were not home.

You DO want an siphon breaking hole in your return line from the sump, so it will not reverse flow when the power goes out.

What you need for baffles in the sump really depends on what you're going to use it for.

The very long explination: http://dslinux.dyndns.org/~denise/aquarium/DIYPlumbing/futureindex.html

Great link! I need to read all of it.

I have already started looking for an overflow.

There are styles and many brands to choose from.
I have been trying to search and see what people like. But they are all about the same. I guess I want one with a U tube

The U tube is generally thought to be more reliable. To my knowlege, no-one has statistical evidence in the matter.

Let me know if there's anything missing on DIY Plumbing 101. It's been quite awhile since I updated the page.

Back
Top Bottom