Mid-Cycle questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny Cakes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All: 55gal with about 50 pounds of base/reef rock and 32 pounds of true LR to seed the rest of the rock.

About 620 gph flow from powerheads, and 920 if you count the HOB box filter.

My cycle readings (via test tube tests) are:

NH3/NH2 -- .25ppm (down from 7ppm after about 4-5 days)
NO2 --- >1ppm
NO3--- 40 ppm (after adjusting for the nitrate reading)

It looks like I am heading into the NO2 spike portion of the cycle, so a couple of questions for the experts :D :
1) should I start up the protein skimmer now or leave it off?
2) Should I go ahead and remove the bio pad from the HOB filter and let the ammonia creep back up to cycle again, or shold I wait until all the rock becomes live after a few months?
3) Should I put in another shrimp or 2 to keep the ammonia pouring in?

Thanks in advannce for the help.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
should I start up the protein skimmer now or leave it off?
It will not hurt anything to turn it on. You may not see a lot of production at first.
Should I go ahead and remove the bio pad from the HOB filter and let the ammonia creep back up to cycle again, or shold I wait until all the rock becomes live after a few months?
What type of filter is it? What is the purpose fo the biopad?
Should I put in another shrimp or 2 to keep the ammonia pouring in?
I do not think you need to. It looks as though your cycle is well underway. You may want to add a small pinch or two of flake food to help feed it along. Just let it happen slowly.

lando said:
What type of filter is it? What is the purpose fo the biopad?

Thanks for the help.

The filter is an Aquatech 30-60 HOB box filter with a pad that contains activated carbon (not in there now though) and a floss pad immerssed in the flow of water that essentially acts like a Biowheel would without the actual wheel mechanism (i.e. holds the nitrifying bacteria)

So the question should be, do I need this added biofiltration with the amount of and mixture of rock that I have? I am not running the activated carbon.

Thanks again.

So the question should be, do I need this added biofiltration with the amount of and mixture of rock that I have? I am not running the activated carbon.
Not really. The floss works as mechanical filtration for removing particualtes from the water (water polishing). It may have some small biological filter capabilities, but not much. The problem is that, when not rinsed in SW on a very regular basis, they collect detritus and can cause NO3 to climb. You can run the floss for a week or two a month and then toss it. The same is true for the carbon. This acts as chemical filtration, helps in water clairity and smell.

DO yo uhave any powerheads? With the cycled LR, a skimmer and powerheads for movement you should have some good filtration.

lando said:
DO yo uhave any powerheads? With the cycled LR, a skimmer and powerheads for movement you should have some good filtration.

Great, Thanks. I have 3 MaxiJet Powerheads with about a total of 620 gph of flow.

Good to know I can get rid of that box on the back.

Back
Top Bottom