Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-12-2008, 06:31 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Off and Running!!!

OK.. LR arrived Today.. Looked really nice (thats coming from someone who's never seen it in a box..he he)

I ordered 50lbs and received 8-9 nice sized pieces. There was also ALOT of rubble on the bottom of the box.

So, Tank is officially Cycling. Here's how I did it:

1st I syphoned about 3 gallons of tank water into a 5gal pail.
Then I syphoned maybe 10 more gals into a rubbermain container.
I took each piece out of the box and shook/rinsed them inside the 5gal pail to get any junk off them. Since I'm cycling the tank with the LR, I figured some of the die off would aid in my cycle. So, I didn't scrub them.

I placed each rock in the tank and stacked them quite nicely. We'll see if this is true once the tank clears up.

I then took ALL the rubble and filled the resevoir of my old Aquaclear 500 HOT filter.

I then pushed the water from the rubbermaid container back up into the tank using a PH.

Fired up the Skimmer, 2 PH's, and AQ500. I also Topped off the Tank and it only needed 1gal.

Tank Temp is now 78deg and just took a gravity reading of 1.022.

I took some pics of the LR in the Box and will post them later when the kiddies are asleep

Old 12-12-2008, 06:35 PM   #22
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Looks like you are good to go. Cant wait for the pics.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:46 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

melosu58.. Thanks.. After reading you previous post about overflows, I spent many hours online reading about DIY Overflows for sumps. I realize now I can build one for under $20 using PVC.

I just need to get another pump for the return and I'll set that up too. I plan to move the Rock Rubble down to the sump and get rid of the AC500.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:40 PM   #24
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by goisles1 View Post
melosu58.. Thanks.. After reading you previous post about overflows, I spent many hours online reading about DIY Overflows for sumps. I realize now I can build one for under $20 using PVC.

I just need to get another pump for the return and I'll set that up too. I plan to move the Rock Rubble down to the sump and get rid of the AC500.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 12-13-2008, 02:37 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

My Tank is already 100% clearer.. Amazing..

BUT - The Remora Pro Skimmer has dumped about 5gallons of Smelly brown water out the drain hose of the collection cup.

Thankfully, I had connected a hose and put the other end into an empty 10gal tank.

I just topped off the tank with 5gals of new SW and emptied the smelly water in the 10g tank. I hear this skimmer needs some time to "break in" and it will stop collecting water and just the skinmate?

Anyway.. I don;t want to keep adding new water to the tank as I want it to cycle.. Should I turn off the Skimmer?
Old 12-13-2008, 08:45 AM   #26
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Yes you really dont need it on in the front end of the cycle. I would say cut it back on so it can be breaking in about a week from the end of the cycle.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 12-13-2008, 08:59 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

ok..thanks..

OK..dumb Q... What's Clearing my tank right now?? I assume the skimmer.. so.. if I shut it down, the tank will not clear up until after the cycle?
Old 12-15-2008, 02:26 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

UPDATE:

Cycle seems to have taken off... I just tested my water and here are my results:

Ammonia - 1.0ppm
Nitrite - 5.0ppm
Nitrate - 5.0ppm
PH - 7.8
Water Temp - 81deg
SG - 1.023

I see the SG has gone UP.. I assume that's due to evaporation? I just added 1gal FW.

Temp is too high, I will adjust the thermo

Nitrites AND Nitrates present.. I assume that's a good sign.

I will get some pics up
Old 12-22-2008, 05:32 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Freak

OK.. not that I'm impatient or anything.. but waiting for this tank to be ready is killing me. It's only been 11days since I added the LR and started the cycle. I know I could have a couple more weeks to go.

I've plumbed my sump and it's been running for a few days.Tank is nicer without the Skimmer, heater and filter showing. All I have now is my pvc overflow, return, and a PH.

I've noticed a whitish film covering all the LR. At first, I thought the colors were fading, but it appears that the purple is hidden under the white film. I cleaned a couple spots on one of the rocks to confirm this. Is this normal and will my cleanup crew take care of this when they are added?

Or, when it comes time to aquascape and add livestock, should I remove each rock and scrub them a bit?

Lastly, Here are a couple pics of progress:

This is how the LR looked when it arrived from Underwateroulets:

This is the Tank right now:
Ammonia and Nitrite seem to be dropping but the Nitrate is still at 5ppm. PH is rising and is up to 8.4, Sump is whows as well:
Old 12-22-2008, 06:00 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to buddha_red
your cycling, nitrates will be there. when your tank is cycled, you will do a pwc and that will remove some nitrates. ammonia and nitrites are your magic numbers. keep watching them drop, your well on your way. i know its hard to wait, but you could aquascape any time you like. i didnt wait for my cycle to be over.

buddha_red is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brackish, moving

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com