Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 02-13-2010, 01:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 23
My live rock can't be cured already?

I'm just bought my first salt water tank and set it up 3 days ago with live sand and live rocks. I tested the water today and everthing is perfect (no amonia, nirates, nitrite, salt content is perfect, the PH levels are perfect, and there is no odor from the tank). The live rocks look the same as when i brought them home and three small translucent plants have appeared. I was told the rocks wouldn't cure for a month but everything seems done. Are they ready to go or has the curing cycle not began yet or did i screw something up?

PS I have a Oceanic Biocube 29 gallon Tank and made my own salt water.
__________________

__________________
base13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Omaha, Ne
Posts: 99
did you throw in an ammonia source? .ie. raw shrimp tail or ammonia dosing? you need some sort of source fom the ammonia to be present from.
__________________

__________________
Kristall-99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin
 
melosu58's Avatar



Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Virginia
Posts: 38,249
I dont think 3 days is enough time. As mentioned above add an ammonia source and have your water test ready. They will let you know.
__________________

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank


AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
 
austinsdad's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Accokeek, Maryland
Posts: 7,694
Tell us more about where you got the rock. Was it in a tank? Was the water moving where it was strored?
__________________
-Ray-

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 23
I bought the live rocks from a local fish store. The rocks were in big fish tanks with moving water. I have checked everything once a day and everything is perfect. The live rock look exactly how they did when i brought them home. They were only out of the water for 20 min.
__________________
base13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Floyd R Turbo's Avatar


 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: West Des Moines, Iowa
Posts: 1,682
If it was healthy live rock, then it will retain a great amount of bacteria, but in 20 minutes out of the water you will have a lot of die-off, and I would expect you should have had an ammonia spike of some kind right away. The way to test the filtering capacity would be to buy some janitorial strength ammonia from Ace Hardware (don't buy anything else anywhere else in my opinion) and add a VERY small amount (this is super strong stuff), wait 1 hour to mix, test ammonia, wait 12 and 24 and test again to see if it's getting taken down, test Nitrite and Nitrate also (before dosing and after). The amount of ammonia you need is probably only a few drops for a 29. I used 2 Tablespoons while fishless cycling a 225 and that brought it up to about 4 or 5 ppm, so you need probably 1/40th of that to get 1 ppm ammonia in your tank. Do a test on some water in a bucket and figure out how much to add for what concentration you want to see and extrapolate it out.

Theoretically, if you take cured LR and put it into a new setup quick enough, you could avoid a cycle, but with the 20 minutes I would be expecting something.
__________________
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:51 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus
 
cmor1701d's Avatar


 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Belle Mead, NJ
Posts: 7,814
There won't be much die off in 20 minutes if the LR was covered with wet newspaper, towels, etc.
Fully cured LR shipped overnight doesn't have that much die off if kept damp, so 20 mnutes is nothing.
Instead of industrial strenght ammonia I would use a small pinch of fish food or a tiny raw shrimp to feed the bacterai colony with a source of ammonia. Test daily for a week to see if you get a spike or not.
__________________

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Live Rock Cured Or NOT? tntfish Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 2 07-06-2009 04:00 PM
Dead rock - Live rock - Cured rock - Uncured rock Charlie Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 5 07-08-2006 08:44 AM
Cured live rock? Joey17 Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 1 12-14-2005 07:41 AM
Help! Is there anyway to tell if Live Rock has been cured? pittchic Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 7 02-18-2005 10:24 AM
Got my live rock today :D 75 pounds of cured rock DamselnDistress Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR 3 11-19-2003 10:23 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.