My rock came in today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quarryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
Brought a tub, a powerhead and some SW with me to my store so it doesn't sit in the box all day.
Opened up the plastic and the first thing I see is a little crab. :lol:
So far I have found 2 crabs, a serpent star (not sure if it will make it) and a few snails. Hopefully no Mantis Shrimp.
Q: They state in their paperwork that these is no need to precure. With my system would you or just throw it in?
My fish are all out right now in a separate system. My thinking is 45lbs shouldn't spike my ammonia too much. Don't want to hurt my inverts.
TIA

quarryshark said:
Brought a tub, a powerhead and some SW with me to my store so it doesn't sit in the box all day.
Opened up the plastic and the first thing I see is a little crab. :lol:
So far I have found 2 crabs, a serpent star (not sure if it will make it) and a few snails. Hopefully no Mantis Shrimp.
Q: They state in their paperwork that these is no need to precure. With my system would you or just throw it in?
My fish are all out right now in a separate system. My thinking is 45lbs shouldn't spike my ammonia too much. Don't want to hurt my inverts.
TIA

When I got mine a coule of weeks ago it was suggested using a carbonated sw dip to flush out any unwanteds

See this thread...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=14214&highlight=

Cheers Shelton.

Hmm, that carbonated water trick sounds like a winner.
Think I'll do that when I get home. I don't have a reef tank so I suppose the crabs would be OK, just don't want the Mantis.
Anyone want them if there are any? If not, I'll see if my lfs does.
This will be interesting.
Yes its from LR.com, very cool rock!!

I'd wait a little while to be absolutely sure before adding it. I'm sure any die-off was minimal but I don't believe in adding anything straight to the main tank.

When I got my 30lbs of coral rock from LR.com, I just put it in like they said. I had a tiny ammonia spike but I had inverts, softies and fish in the tank and all survived. I did get a mantis, predator snails and a lot of bad crabs though.

I thought LR.com was against the carbaonated dip. There was a thread ahwile back...

When I moved my tank to the basement, any rock that I did not have a coral attached too, I dipped in FW. I got all crabs out except one and I got my mantis. I set the tank back up with no issues. The carbonated dip sounds better but I did not prepare ahead of time so the FW worked too.

QS, based on my experience with LR.com you havent found anything yet :D

I found dozens of critters in my 100 lbs. I only got a small spike when I added it to my tank and had a 30% water change ready to go just in case I needed it.

Ya more stuff is showing up now. Since I have it in a SW tub with a powerhead, things are relaxing. I also covered it and critters are coming out.
Now I have found a bristleworm, several anemones, more stars and a few bivalves....very cool
I'm going to for sure dip it when I get home. Then I can decide which critters to keep in the main and which ones to throw in my 10 gallon.
Thanks all, this is fun!! :)

BTW, I have found more stuff on this 40lbs than on any of my other 180lbs. definately better rock.

Sounds like you might just end up in the reef club after all :p

Back
Top Bottom