Need Advice for 6 gallon fluvell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeGio

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone my name is mike bought a tank about three weeks ago w/ substrate, live rock and have recently added 3 snails, 1 fire shrimp, and a dwarf zebra hermit. The water parameters are great, the tank seems to get a little hot with stock lights, looking to switch to led any advice because the top is all glass with a small opening. Also how many and what kind of fish should I be adding?, I was thinking a chromis, & 2 clown?

Any other advice would be great!!

No fish in a tank that small besides maybe a goby.Chromis and clowns need at least 20 gallons.

emerald76 said:
No fish in a tank that small besides maybe a goby.Chromis and clowns need at least 20 gallons.

Geez, I'm mad that I bought the tank at this size. The store obviously saw me as a newbie. So if I go with invertebrates and 1 small fish that is still to small?, what about coral if I change the lights?, should I just get an led u put over the glass?

I wouldn't put in any fish but that is just my opinion.Maybe a neon blue goby or yellow watchman.

emerald76 said:
I wouldn't put in any fish but that is just my opinion.Maybe a neon blue goby or yellow watchman.

Ok

And what about the light system. The lights that came with it are terrible they make it scorching hot. Would you recommend an LED fixture directly above glass?, since there is only a small opening?

Yes an LED system would probably be best unless you want to buy a chiller

You could probably use T5's without a chiller as well, but you would then have to replace bulbs approx. once a year. Removing the cover, if possible, will also allow heat to escape, and allow for better gas exchange. The only down side to no cover is a little more evaporation, and you will have to keep the splash lens clean of salt residue, and if you have jumping fish you will need a type of screen.

Ok thanks for advice

I took off the bulbs because they were giving off too much heat and purchased a cheap led fixture: Solar Flare Mini LED Light Fixture, please advise if this is good enough for current set up. I took off the top and will eventually put a light screen so no fish can jump out of.

I would like to add coral and I'm sure this light isn't strong enough thinking of using this light then purchasing a reef capable led light to put over glass?, any advice would be appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom