Need advice on cycling new tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thejet2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have recently filled my new 70 gallon tank with saltwater and crushed coral.
I am wondering what the best method is to start cycling the tank. I bought a product called "CYCLE" which is supposed to seed bacteria and speed up the cycling. I have not put this stuff in yet because I am unsure if this is a safe method. I was not planning on adding live rock but it seems like the best way according to the posts in this forum.
Also, I have ordered a protein skimmer and should have it next week, is it a good advice to start the cycling without this. My filter is a FLuval 404.
Any advice would be appreciated

I bought a product called "CYCLE" which is supposed to seed bacteria and speed up the cycling
Sorry to say, it doesn't work. I tried it on a small qt tank with 0 success.
Check out the link that RMPD109 gave you. its a good method.
However, if you are getting LR, thats the best way to go.

The raw shrimp method seems like a good idea. I would still like to know if adding live rock is necessary. Also should I start this without a skimmer.

I would still like to know if adding live rock is necessary.
LR is the best natural filtration you can get today. I would call it necessary for an optimal system.
Also should I start this without a skimmer.
You could start without, but I see one in your future. :) A big part of a successful system IMO
BTW, welcome to AA!!! :D :D :D

The LR is the best method of cycling your tank without fish.

Cycle doesn't work, and turbo start doesn't work either. I tried turbo start when i set mine up, and it did nothing.

Good Luck!

These products can not work by themselves..they are intended to spur the cycle by providing a population of bacteria to process ammonia immediately. You still need an ammonia source. (The dead shrimp in my sump is a mere three feet away as I type this and perfuming the air nicely!)

I'm not suggesting that they ABSOLUTELY DO work...just that, assuming the culture is alive when you add it, it is likely to speed up the cycle a bit. Of course, who knows how the product was handled in the store, and what its shelf life is.

Back
Top Bottom