Need Help With Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dragon.goby

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all! I've been looking into getting a 75g reef tank this Christmas and I am completely lost on how to do all this filtration and sump things.

75 T Reef Ready (48x15x24) - Aquariums Reef Ready Rectangular 55 to 100 Gallons

This is the aquarium I plan on getting. From what I read a 20g long sump is the size I would need. But how does all the plumbing work? What do I put inside of the sump to make it work? Where can I find all the stuff online for the plumbing? (If possible, please be specific with the equipment). So basically what I'm trying to say is, how do these work and how do I make them work. Thanks in advanced (y)

You can go to Lowes or Home Depot for most of the stuff like the pipes and bulk heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Plumbing a sump varies in so many ways because of various equipment answering you would be impossible. What I will tell you from what I learned is: Plumb as much as you can with pvc, avoid hoses. Use pvc unions in a few places to help you be able to remove sections of piping when you need to.

Majority of the parts can be found at Lowes.

If I were you I'd be watching tons of youtube videos.

Read about skimming. Reef tank Skimmer. Foam fractionation?
Return pump, read about sizing/rating pumps for reef tanks.

(Usually)
From the display tank, an overflow(s) goes to the sump.
This is pipe work, the tank will have drilled holes to accept the pipe, you need to size the pipe to the hole. Fit the pipe to a bulkhead or tank connecter which is then fitted to the hole. (More correctly a bulkhead/tank con. is designed to fit a hole, this will give you the pipe dia. for your outlet)
The sump is divided into sections and can have bubble baffles fitted. Each section can be configured to user requirements. The first section is always the input from the display.
The final section is where the return pump goes. Water is pushed back up to the display (pipe work) and is gravity fed to the sump through the overflows. The return pump pipe dia. is determined by the pump.

Rate your pump to your overflows, allow for elbows (90') and head height. Normally specs provided on head by manufacturer.
(1 elbow = 1 foot head loss)

(That's very simplified)

Back
Top Bottom