New 120 build...gonna be a long ride...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What do you mean by waste water, i know it sounds self explanatory, but do you mean for every 4 gallons of water going through the system 1 gallon isn't usable...Sorry please excuse my blonde moment. But in reality i have brown hair...lol.

Actually, for every gallon of useable water you get about 3g of waste water. I have mine running out to my lawn and my flower beds.

For the most part yeah....I've heard some have a little more or a little less but you;ll still get more waste water than useable water for your tank. I'm just guessing at the 3g to 1g ratio on mine, but it seems about right.

Another $15 you want to spend is for a TDS (total dissolved solids) meter. You can check your tap water against the ro/di water and really see the difference. It's also needed to tell when the unit needs new filters. Mine puts out 0 ppm of tds and my tap water is at 243! So defintiely worth the money. :)

Holy Moly, yea i just looked around at other systems they say the same thing. I was just worried if im pumping out 1000's of gallons of water for the tank if im gonna be paying out my tush for water, but then i realized my water bill comes every 3 months and it's cheap...lol.

Yeah, I make a TON of water and my water bill is only like $18 a month lol. I'm running 8 tanks at the moment too so I can't even imagine the water consumption hehe

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but you mentioned, Mr X, the ecoxotic retro fit, and I was wondering what you thought of the panorama line, which is expandable.
i have never used one, but i saw them at a local store. if it were me purchasing a unit, i would want 3 watt LEDs. i can't even find information on the ecoxotic site about them. i believe they are just a series of the panorama modules, made into a fixture.
if i was looking for a fixture, i would rather go with these-
AI Sol

Carey, that is a big relief...It will be alot of trial and error before i get my set up up and going correctly...Do you suggest having a large container of mixed water ready to go or 5 gal jugs? In my mind i feel the large container with a power head and a bubble stone would be better...but i could be wrong.

i haven't given up on the canons. i was just saying i like the aqua illuminations fixtures better than the panoramas. i haven't even started to focus on lighting yet. still working on the kitchen!

Kitchen!!! Noooo...no need for cabinets and new countertops...LOL. Oh ok, well I have a while before i buy serious lighting, what kinda of lighting is required for an initial FOWLR set up?

Carey, that is a big relief...It will be alot of trial and error before i get my set up up and going correctly...Do you suggest having a large container of mixed water ready to go or 5 gal jugs? In my mind i feel the large container with a power head and a bubble stone would be better...but i could be wrong.

I keep the 32g garbage can full of ro/di water and mix the day before I am doing a pwc. I keep the 4 5g jugs inside in a closet so I dont have to worry about running out. Keep in mind too that you need some unsalted water for top offs. I wouldnt mix salt water too far in advance either, not sure if it its a good thing.

I also have so many tanks that I need access to plain ole ro/di water. When I do my pico water changes I only need like a gallon and for my cube I use 3-4 gallons. For these tanks i just take out of the 32g can and mix inside the house in 5g buckets. When I do the 125g I start with a almost full 32g can and salt it outside and just fill up 5g buckets or use the pump.

The 5g jugs that I keep in the closet are more for protection if I need immediate water and I have an empty garbage can LOL

Gotcha, ok here is a another silly question...How much salt do people usually mix with a 5 gal bucket of RO/DI water? Does it vary between salt brands? Is there a better brand of salt to use or is it just personal preference?

you want to use a reef grade salt. it's going to mix closer to natural sea water. i don't know the exact measurements. i usually pour in some, let it mix, then check with a refractometer, pour a little more in...check again....

Oh ok, i didnt know if you liked IO, reef crystals or any of them brands better....

instant ocean is not a reef grade salt, so i wouldn't use that. reef crystals is ok though. oceanic, tropic marin, seachem reef salt, red sea coral pro, D&D ocean..any of those will work.

Instant Ocean is perfectly fine to use and probably among the cheapest. I've been using regular Red Sea salt for close to 20 yrs.

Interesting, what is the main difference in the brands, besides one being reef grade...what makes it reef grade?

Back
Top Bottom