New 55 gal tank set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dan55G

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
About to pick up my new 55 gallon tank!!! Need some advice on a filter. Another site recommended a 110 gal filter. Any advice or tips would be great!!!

Dan55G said:
About to pick up my new 55 gallon tank!!! Need some advice on a filter. Another site recommended a 110 gal filter. Any advice or tips would be great!!!

You would want a filter that is rated for at least twice the size of your tank.

Hello! Welcome to the forum!

It's always better to overfiltrate than not have enough.

Are you gonna run a sump in the future or just a hang on or canister filter?

To tell you the truth I'm not that familiar with a sump filter. I'm just working with a 25 gal tank now so I'm a complete newbie. I have a small hang on back filter now, which is obviously not capable of handling a 55 gallon tank. From the quick reading I did on sump filters it seem like the way to go. But also seems like the most complicated.
Would I have to drill a hole in my tank for a sump filter?

Dan55G said:
To tell you the truth I'm not that familiar with a sump filter. I'm just working with a 25 gal tank now so I'm a complete newbie. I have a small hang on back filter now, which is obviously not capable of handling a 55 gallon tank. From the quick reading I did on sump filters it seem like the way to go. But also seems like the most complicated.
Would I have to drill a hole in my tank for a sump filter?

Not at all. You can use an overflow box.

I have both a drilled and an overflow box on tanks, IMO drilled tanks are a lot easier to plumb and less noisy. I am thinking about taking down the tank with the overflow just so I can get it drilled.

Canister filters I stay away from them they seem to cause a lot of nitrates.

HOB filters I use those as well for smaller tanks. You can actually get HOB fuges as well but they are rather pricey.

So would an overflow box also prevent water overflow in a power outage? Is drilling your tank an easy diy project? What items would I need to set up a sump filter system?

Dan55G said:
So would an overflow box also prevent water overflow in a power outage? Is drilling your tank an easy diy project? What items would I need to set up a sump filter system?

In a power outage it is not the overflow you are concerned about. It's the return line. Just make sure to drill a hole just below the water line. As far as drilling.... I would not recommend it unless it is acrylic glass. You are better off with an overflow box and a return line..... All you need for a sump is an overflow, piping to get to the sump, sump, a return pump, piping to the tank, then like a diy spray bar or whatever you want. In my tank I made a spray bar for the water with holes angled different directions to get different currents in the water.

What is growing on my live rock? Is it bad?

Attachments

• image-790604171.jpg
    image-790604171.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 203
Red cyano, and yea it's bad, but its not terrible. There is this stuff called chemiclean red slime remover and I used it with shrimp/crab/snails and fish in the tank. I don't know if it's safe with corals, but it definitely worked.

I used chemiclean in a 20 gal. test tank i put some rics in there and had no ill effects YMMV.

It's def cyno. What I would do is cut lights to 6 hours a day. Remove what you can by hand. Feed every other day. Cyno is very common in new tanks. I would not recommend adding a clean product just yet. Just do the steps above and you will have it gone in about a weeks time.

20 gal sump filter??
So I was thinking about making a sump filter out if my 20 gal tank once I get my 55 gal. I have no experience with sumps. Anyone have a plan a can reference and a supply list? Instructions would be nice too.

It doesn't always go away easy. After I let my 14g go fallow, no lights on but filtration going, cyano was still around a month later though in very small amounts.

Picked up the new tank! Check it out. I'll probably sand & stain the wood darker or just paint it black. Now I just have to figure out this whole sump filter situation.

Attachments

• image-1360595315.jpg
    image-1360595315.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 178
It looks great as it is imo. :)

Would prob look better in black though I gotta admit. Looks like a lot of work.

Good luck, keep us all updated!

Finally got around to switching to the 55. Here are some pics. Still need to paint it black. Not really feelin the wood look. Now I just need to get some for rock and fishes to fill it. lol

Attachments

• image-2605082748.jpg
    image-2605082748.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 170
  • image-3004880859.jpg
    image-3004880859.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 191
Back
Top Bottom