New Tank Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grussell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

New member here. I posted an intro in the new member's forum. I come from a freshwater background but haven't had fish in a while. I've got three little kids, two of whom have autism and LOVE watching fish. I've been reading and researching SW for month's now and find it fascinating. I'm hoping to give it a go soon.

I'm shooting for a 75 Gallon FOWLR, though I might want to put in some mushrooms and zoas eventually, so I know it then becomes a reef tank. I don't want a sump. I'm sure some folks are gonna take issue with that, but I want to go HOB largely for my setup.

Stocking list:

2 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Royal Gramma
1 Flame Angel
1 Coral Beauty
1 Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
1 Kole Tang or Whitetail Bristletooth Tang
1 Flasher Wrasse of an undetermined type
1 Firefish

I also intend to have mobile inverts in here. A CUC, some brittlestars, urchins, and some shrimp. Is that all too ambitious? I know all the fish per gallon rules of thumb. I had thought of getting rid of the tang and doing a flame hawkfish. Could also get rid of the flasher wrasse and do just one ocellaris. Also could dispose of the firefish. I want to give the two dwarf angels a go, though I know they may not get along, and could pick on the inverts. I'm going to try buying them young and at the same time.

I want to do a HOB skimmer. Do you guys think the Remora Aqua-C Pro is better, or the Reef Octopus BH-2000...or another one you could rec for a heavy bioload?

If I just want to do some zoas and Mushrooms and maybe some leathers, can I get away with just 4 T5 HOs?

If I want to run a UV sterilizer and a carbon reactor, can I possibly connect them inline using just one pump from the tank?

When getting live rock, I know the 1pd/gallon rule. Can that be a mixture of base and premium, or does it have to be all premium rock?

If I get 4-6 shrimp, 2 urchins, some hermits and snails, does that mess up the bioload? How many brittlestars(or traditional stars--but not the knobby kind) could you keep here? My son says he wants a starfish friend...

Those are some early questions. I've bought nothing at this point. I've read 5-6 books and I've been lurking the forums. Any takers?

Thanks!

Grussell..........

Hi,

New member here. I posted an intro in the new member's forum. I come from a freshwater background but haven't had fish in a while. I've got three little kids, two of whom have autism and LOVE watching fish. I've been reading and researching SW for month's now and find it fascinating. I'm hoping to give it a go soon.

I'm shooting for a 75 Gallon FOWLR, though I might want to put in some mushrooms and zoas eventually, so I know it then becomes a reef tank. I don't want a sump. I'm sure some folks are gonna take issue with that, but I want to go HOB largely for my setup.

Stocking list:

2 Ocellaris Clowns
1 Royal Gramma
1 Flame Angel
1 Coral Beauty
1 Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
1 Kole Tang or Whitetail Bristletooth Tang
1 Flasher Wrasse of an undetermined type
1 Firefish

I also intend to have mobile inverts in here. A CUC, some brittlestars, urchins, and some shrimp. Is that all too ambitious? I know all the fish per gallon rules of thumb. I had thought of getting rid of the tang and doing a flame hawkfish. Could also get rid of the flasher wrasse and do just one ocellaris. Also could dispose of the firefish. I want to give the two dwarf angels a go, though I know they may not get along, and could pick on the inverts. I'm going to try buying them young and at the same time.

I want to do a HOB skimmer. Do you guys think the Remora Aqua-C Pro is better, or the Reef Octopus BH-2000...or another one you could rec for a heavy bioload?

If I just want to do some zoas and Mushrooms and maybe some leathers, can I get away with just 4 T5 HOs?

If I want to run a UV sterilizer and a carbon reactor, can I possibly connect them inline using just one pump from the tank?

When getting live rock, I know the 1pd/gallon rule. Can that be a mixture of base and premium, or does it have to be all premium rock?

If I get 4-6 shrimp, 2 urchins, some hermits and snails, does that mess up the bioload? How many brittlestars(or traditional stars--but not the knobby kind) could you keep here? My son says he wants a starfish friend...

Those are some early questions. I've bought nothing at this point. I've read 5-6 books and I've been lurking the forums. Any takers?

Thanks!

Grussell..........

Hey there welcome to the salt side!
On your stocking just be ready to separate the angels if need be and I'd add them at the exact same time. If you go with the hawk, you may not want to do small inverts like certain shrimp/crabs. They will probably end up snacks. Serpent stars are awesome and very hardy, they could fulfill the starfish role. I have a psk 75h eshopps skimmer on my tank and like it. I have no experience with the other 2 though. I've heard good things about the reef octopus though. Zoas, mushrooms and leathers should all do fine under a 4 bulb t5. You may even be able to keep some lps as well. The inverts don't add much to the bioload, that sounds like a fine list just add compatible shrimp as some (coral banded) will kill the others. Once again welcome!

I would not put two angels in that size tank. They would not have enough room to not be constantly bumping into one another. I am probably going to try a Singapore Angel (not technically a Dwarf, but they stay small) and a Multi-color dwarf angel in my 240g and I'm kinda worried about how that will work out.

If i had to choose, id buy the reef octopus over the remora. Also im def all flr trying 2 dwarf angels but as previously mentioned, you need to have a contingincy plan if things go wrong. I wouldnt run both an inline uv and reactor off one single pump. Id prob not run a UV sterilizer only for the fact that it essentially kills all free floating organisms. Idk if a 4 bulb setup will allow you to keep lps, but zoas and lower light corals should be ok.

Thanks for the replies! Some good thoughts. I'll look at that Eshopps skimmer. Couple questions to add on here.

If I were to eventually want some harder corals, SPS, or a clam or something, how many more T-5s would I need? Could I add just a set of two, or would I need another four?

Do you think 2 peppermint, two skunk cleaner, and two fire shrimp would get along okay? Would a flame hawk go after shrimp like that?

Two other fish I was considering were the yellowtail damsel and the indigo dottyback. I've heard these aren't as aggressive as their kin. I've heard that particular dotty won't go after your inverts? And I've heard the yellow tail is either 1) not that aggressive or 2) not aggressive as long as you have three of them(which I don't want to dedicate that much bioload to that), or 3) are just as aggressive as the others. Which one do you think it is?

Failing that, is there another pretty, blue hued fish that would fit in a 75 gallon? I looked at the blue assessor, but it is pricey.....

Thanks! Sorry I ask so much...

Grussell..........

Thanks for the replies! Some good thoughts. I'll look at that Eshopps skimmer. Couple questions to add on here.

If I were to eventually want some harder corals, SPS, or a clam or something, how many more T-5s would I need? Could I add just a set of two, or would I need another four?

Do you think 2 peppermint, two skunk cleaner, and two fire shrimp would get along okay? Would a flame hawk go after shrimp like that?

Two other fish I was considering were the yellowtail damsel and the indigo dottyback. I've heard these aren't as aggressive as their kin. I've heard that particular dotty won't go after your inverts? And I've heard the yellow tail is either 1) not that aggressive or 2) not aggressive as long as you have three of them(which I don't want to dedicate that much bioload to that), or 3) are just as aggressive as the others. Which one do you think it is?

Failing that, is there another pretty, blue hued fish that would fit in a 75 gallon? I looked at the blue assessor, but it is pricey.....

Thanks! Sorry I ask so much...

Grussell..........

If you were to get into sps and clams I'd think another 2 would be fine as long as you place them where they will get enough light. The cleaner and fire should be fine but I wouldn't trust the hawk with the peppermints. I had a six line kill two before I figured it out and he was only 2". I don't like damsels, I've heard the orchid dottyback is pretty peaceful though. The yellowtails IMO can be pretty mean, I wouldn't do them. For a blue fish why not get a small group of neon gobies. They are pretty tiny though.

Back
Top Bottom