New tank- No fish yet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bunnymom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have switched from freshwater to salt. I have a 55 gal. that is going to be fish only for now. I do have 4 snails and 2 small shrimp. My question is what would be a good hardy fish to start with?

Have you cycled the tank yet? If this is a new set up, you'll want to wait before adding anything to the tank til a cycle has been finished. You may loose the snails and shrimp during a cycle as well. I'll explain the process of fishless cycling if needed. :D
As for easy/hardy beginner fish, clownfish are a good choice. Also, dwarf angels are great.

I have a 10 day old tank and I have a pair of snails, and 2 damsels under the recommendations of a local store to help the tank cycle.

think you could go ahead and explain this to me b/c this is my 1st Sw tank. Oh and its 55 gallons.

Sorry for the highjack bunnymom...

Ricky,
Cycling with fish is an old method. It does work but to keep the fish from suffering water changes are necessary and will cause your cycle to take much longer than necessary. Or, if you don't do the water changes, the fish may die. Here is an article on the nitrogen cycle to help you understand the process.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=16

The fishless cycle is what we suggest. You can do a cycle without fish just using another source of ammonia to get you started. Using a raw shrimp from your grocery works well. You just throw it in and let it rot.
You should have a test kit to watch the progress of your cycle. This is necessary for the fish or fishless method.

Thanks, I have cycled the tank. Did it before I added the snails and shrimp. Wanted to make sure I did not lose anything if I could help it. We were thinking about clownfish also maybe a puffer. What do you think about those?

bunnymom said:
Did it before I added the snails and shrimp. Wanted to make sure I did not lose anything if I could help it. We were thinking about clownfish also maybe a puffer. What do you think about those?

(y)

Maybe one of the smaller puffer species like a valentini.

Water changes wont necessarily slow down your cycle. I set mine up with treated tap water added two damsels two days later. Did five gallon water changes to the 75 gallon tank daily with RO water during the cycle. Day 27 it was a done deal 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites. Time for a few more fish :D

Also added small pieces of cured LR here and there during the cycle. Good luck on your new tank

Back
Top Bottom