new tank plumbing noisy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pomme

Aquarium Advice Freak
new tank plumbing noisy?

i have just set up my tank, and have just done the first fill and washed it out and it is now set-up with saltwater and live rock, pictures here: www.marinefishuk.co.uk/portal/...m.php?n=529#529, marine fish uk or go to www.marinefish.co.uk and look at albums and look under andrew barnett, and they should be there

But have found that the plumbing is very noisy, its basically just from the tank overflows to the sump, the overflows go through the back of the tank, where the plumbing does a 90 degree turn and then down to the sump, does anyone have any ideas of how to make this quieter?

i have heard that if i put holes in the 90 degree bits that come out of the back of the tank the noise should go down as the air can escape, will this work?

thanx,
andrew.

the noise you are experiencing is air trying to escape back up through the plumbing itself. what i did was insert a hollow (3/16") piece of tubing down the pipe going from the overflow and supported it by pinching it w/ the sponge media. hope this makes sense and helps you out!

regards,

micro

oh so with the overflow put some line down it, how long sort of 20cm, and then have it in the middle but keep it in plave with some foam, in the overflow box?

is that what you mean?

The amount of airline tubing you need might vary. Slowly lower the airline tubing down till the gurgling goes away.

cool, i hope it works, will this also stop the air going into the sump?

and should the returns to the sump be above or below the sump water level?

my lines are below the water level in the sump simply to lower the splashing sounds in the sump.

No it wont affect the air from coming down the tubing in fact i would expect it to draw more air down. Although if its going to the sump shouldnt be a concern.

Back
Top Bottom