Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2010, 09:52 PM   #11
is back to save the day!

Don't worry about it. As long as you use RO water from here on out, you'll begin to notice the diatoms disappearing very quickly, and won't return. Unless you start using tap water again.

Old 05-01-2010, 12:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Various Pics of the tank. 35lbs of live rock in tank. I stirred up the brown algea last night. Some rocks you can tell were my first batch of LR. Haven't really worked with the aquascape too much, just wanted to get my water temp back up. Enjoy !!

Old 05-01-2010, 12:56 PM   #13
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Instead of stirring the diatoms up try siphoning them up when you do your PWC`s.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:25 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm taking PWCs are water changes ??
Old 05-01-2010, 04:07 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

PWC = Partial Water Change. Which I have to do today...
FLFishFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 04:17 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank has only been up and running with LR in it for 2 weeks. Haven't done a PWC at all. Should I have done one by now ?? I was just thinking about waiting until something is in the tank (fish/inverts) to give me a reason to do a PWC.

My lighting in my tank is a coralife T5 combo with a 10k light and a actinic light. Would that be substantial enough to keep zoo's in and xenias ??
Old 05-01-2010, 05:51 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Im thinking you ought to wait on a PWC until the tank has cycled unless you have ammonia off the charts.

T5 lighting is good for many types of coral, but I would advise you to NOT add xenias! They WILL take over and will release toxins into the water when you try to pull them out. They grow very quickly and overrun corals and clams. They REALLY like bright T5 bulbs!

If I did it again, id stay away from xenias and green star polyps.
Matt
Old 05-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

I appreciate the advice on the xenias. I had a 12 gallon jbj nano cube about 5-6 years ago and started with one small colony of xenias. Had about 4 heads on it. About 8 months into the xenias, they did triple the amount of coverage they had and I just farmed them off to my LFS.

My ammonia levels and phosphate levels are great my LFS told me. So i'm thinking that in about 2 weeks or so i'm going to have me a pair of percs in there.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:23 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by milhous3er View Post
The 10lbs or rock in the tank was just to kinda start cycling my tank. My LFS owner gave me some beneficial bacteria out of his sump.
How did they give you beneficial bacteria? Did you get some sand out of their system?

Quote:
He told me that I wouldn't have to cycle my tank now that I put that in there ?? I don't feel comforatable putting stock in the tank without knowing if its going to cycle or not..
I wouldn't either. Especially if you've never seen ammonia show up in the tank, and you don't have any nitrates. If the tank has been converting ammonia, you should see nitrates... right? Even with cured live rock, I still like to add an ammonia source until I see the nitrates increasing. Then I know I've got a good bacterial population before I add anything alive.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:33 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Kurt, He gave me a murky/sandy bag of water that came out of his sump that he uses for the tanks. I was just going to add a couple hermit crabs. Would that be a ammonia source ??

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com