New tank questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Added another pepp. shrimp, 1 emerald crab and a pulsing xenia frag. Will get pics when I do my water test hopefully on Tuesday. Put order in for 2 juvenille clarkii clowns. Hoping they come in the week of June 7th.

Ok, and I should do this scrubbing in salt water right ?? That way it keeps the bacteria on the rock ??

My tank is glass, and even have CC as my substate. I'll keep that in mind when I clean the glass again !!
Yes, wait until you do a PWC, then use that water to clean and scrub that HA off the rock.

Firsty Fish !!

Added a 1" gold striped maroon clown !!

img_1117839_0_295768d43f8a325b156bb20dabe1761f.jpg

You can also see my small Xenia frag !!

Small FTS shot after alittle redecorating-
img_1117839_1_ebe6a6240f3c144bc852ff8e11544526.jpg

Did my weekely water test after my skimmer was off all weekend due to in-laws staying in my man cave. They couldn't sleep with the skimmer on....sissys

PH- 8.2
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 5-10ppm
SG- 32 or 1.024

Question though, since I've added the gold striped, can I add a white striped maroon, or do they both need to be gold stripped ?? Searched online about it but no answer. I understand that they both need to be the same size, of the white striped needs to be a tad small.

The gold striped maroon is a very aggressive clown. I would not add the white stripe one because there will be aggression.

even at the age/size he is now ?? I was assuming that since they were both "maroon" clowns they could become a pair in my tank. so no white striped maroon, but its safe to add another gold striped ??

Got a 1 inch gold stripe maroon and a three inch white striped maroon in my tank. It was touch and go for the little guy for a while as he got his fins nipped by the bigger white stripe . No aggression at all from the yellow stripe. Paired up nicely now.

Ducati thanks for the heads up. I've called around to 4 LFS in my area, and got 2 responses. The "sure can, its a clown" and the "I won't even do that in our display tanks" But one did say that if the fish get nasty, I can always return a maroon.

I'm going to try my luck with it. Hope for the best right ??

not much going on here. added some zoas and a clove polyp frag. my not so local lfs (40 minute drive) had a 50% off ALL coral sale for a week !! too bad i only get a $35 dollar allowance each week for my tank...( its a good thing, we wouldn't be able to pay the mortgage if she didn't give me limits ). thinking on either a coral beauty angel, or a six line for my next fish....any suggestions ??

The coral Beauty is a hit or miss thing as far as your corals go. The 6 line is going to decimate your pod and micro-verts in no time flat. You don't know unless you try though.

Well im hoping the 6line will eat frozen/flakes/pellets as my tank has only been up for going on 3 months. My pod population is nowhere near the level the 6line needs for pods only. Shame on me, but I haven't done too much research on the diet of the 6line. I knew it ate pods, just need to find out about prepared foods.

It will more then likely eat pellets and other marine frozen foods. When you buy a fish for a reef tank, look to where the fish feeds. Does it eat corals or feed off the reef itself or does it feed in the water colume on zooplantion and things of that nature.

Last edited:
thanks for the advice. never looked at it that way. going to need some eggcrate for the little jumper (as they say)

Yeah, I learned the hard way about jumpers or as I call them...carpet surfers!!!

Sixline. Definately. There isn't a fish I could recommend more for a tank of this size. Colourful, always moving around the tank in and out of rocks, not a bad temperment and even eats pests that can be in your tank. :)

mitchell i was kinda hoping you'd chime in. TC has been great with is advice, but i knew you have a 6line and kinda hoped you'd give me some more info. on them. does yours eat prepared food or just pods ?? anything else that i need to know before getting one ?

mitchell i was kinda hoping you'd chime in. TC has been great with is advice, but i knew you have a 6line and kinda hoped you'd give me some more info. on them. does yours eat prepared food or just pods ?? anything else that i need to know before getting one ?

Ive had a sixline for nearly a year now. They eat anything given to them, or at least mine does. They eat pods as well, so dont get too attached to the pods. :grin:

I feed pellets, mysis, and cyclopeze and he eats everything very quickly. (Has to compete with two clowns and a strawbery baslet).

Mine isnt too aggressive, but has been a jerk a few times. (Chasing and biting the clowns).

He leaves all the other inverts. alone.
Matt

Mine eats everything. Frozen Mysis, little pellets and it loves live foods like brine. Won't touch nori though.

The only things you really need to know is that it sleeps in a kinda mucus cocoon. Don't worry about that. The cocoon doesn't harm the water quality. For more info read my write up on them in the Saltwater Fish and Coral Profiles forum.

Back
Top Bottom