new to saltwater getting mixed advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lostseamonkey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
well i have a 55 gallon fresh water tank now i bought a 55 gallon i wish to make saltwater but getting mixed info i was thinking of using a skilter 400 but have been reading some bad reviews now i'm not sure of what to do have been dreaming of a saltwater tank for 10 years and would like some info do to cost i was thinking of a fish tank with fake coral and rocks in it but just not sure now i have spoken to many people in pet shops but i think most are just trying to push there products my 4 favorite critters are
the blow fish/a shark/moraeel/stingray
could someone tell me also if they think i mite be able to import some of my favorites into this size tank i guess i'm just looking for some ideas thanks for listening all
Thank you
LostSeaMonkey

I'm not sure on the blowfish but the rest is out due to their size, I wouldnt attempt a shark unless a 500 plus tank was involved and about the same for the sting ray, your talking a high dollar set up for those critters. Everyone has their own idea as to what a cool fish is but in a 55 your limited to a select handfull of preditory fish, Most people after setting up a sw tank change their minds after getting them going on what they want to do with them anyway so I say go for it but change your ideas on your fish selection.

stay away from the skilter, worst piece of equipment i've ever owned, and thumper is right about the fish, stay away from them with the exception of the porcupine puffer, but only if u plan on upgrading before he outgrows the tank. If not maybe consider a type of toby

It seems that you lean toward big fish, which means big bioload, so you'll wnat a decent skimmer. I'm using AquaC Urchin in-sump, and the AquaC Remora HOB comes highly rated, too. Both are "plug and play" easy to use.

As far as mixed advice, well... you'll have to get used to that. The best course of action is to research like crazy and get ideas from this board, then make your own informed decision based on your own requirements and preferences. there are many ways to make things work - the only one sure to fail is a rushed pace without suffiecient planning and research.

Good luck.

Get your shark and stingray fix by watching sharkweek on discovery or visiting your local aquarium. They need a tank thats at least 10X the size of tank your talking about to be happy. Even the small shark varieties can get upward to 2' in lengh and require ample 'open water' for swimming.

I belive you will find a 75gal tank to be a bit more forgiving as far as fish size and swimming room since its going to be deeper (front to back) than the 55 and will still have the same width. The skillter can be modified to work more effectivly. I belive it involves adding an airstone to the skimmer chamber although I have never owned one and its been a while since I saw a post about the mods you can do to them. IMO you would be better served with a skimmer like the Remora. Its a little more costly than the skilter but IMO far more effective as a skimmer.

Get your shark and stingray fix by watching sharkweek on discovery or visiting your local aquarium.
That is a great idea. A 55gal is just way too small for sharks or rays. Besides, the species available inthe aquarium trade are pretty much bottom dwellers that do nothing but sit in the sand and don't really move much. Once the novalty of having a "shark" wears off they can be pretty boaring. The silter may work, but for HOB filters I am a fan of the Emperor 400 by Marineland. Your next purchase should be a good book. I like "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. It is a must have.
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:

i even did the airstone mod on the skilter and it was still useless, and one day decided to dump about 5 gallons of water on the floor, which in a two story house is not a good thing. IMO I would just go with the remora that everyone recommends

I would even suggest researching the puffer further before you decide. With a puffer it pretty much eliminates keep inverts in the system.

i would like to thank you all for the advice think ill choose deferent critters maybe ill do some fish and coral i'm still fishing for ideas i plan on taken my time so it is done rite plus i just adopted a 46gallon tank to so now i have 2 new tanks to play with thanks all

Back
Top Bottom