Newbie To Salt Water Aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was thinking getting a T-8 if the lighting is larger especial for my Reef.... The more the merrier I guess... Should I do a T-8 or go with the T-5?:confused:

I'm pretty sure the t-5 provides more light because its smaller and more is reflected down into the tank and not blocked by the bulb itself when reflecting off of the hood reflectors.

I'm only asking cause someone in this forum pick-up a Light Fixture for cheap and it worked for there reef tank.... I just can't remember were....

question on salt water tank, can i run a invertebrates tank only with fake/faux coral w.o lighting and a air pump with sponge filter? if people dont mind my post in this thread or ill just make a new thread

The T# is the bulb diameter in 1/8 inch increments. A T8 is one inch in diameter a T12 is 1½" and a T5 is 5/8". You can fit more T5 bulbs than T8's in the same space. Because T5's are thinner you make small parabolic reflectors which concentrate the light down into the tank instead of losing up and to the sides.

How do I know what size T-5 Light I should get for my 50gallon Tank? I am not sure if it's a 36" or the 48"? Could someone tell me?

It depends, a 50L is 48" and a 50T is 36 (I think). Have him measure it for you or wait till you get it

I have it, it a rectangular 50 gallon tank and its made by All-Glass..... I think it might be 48" but then i saw on another forum 36" so i am kind of confused and which one to buy....

If you have the tank the prudent thing to do is to measure it. It's either 48 or 36

Prime by seachem (if you are talking for a de-chlorinator).

Well i'm just going off of what Instant Ocean whats me to do with conditioning tap water they recommend Bio-Coat Marine but it's Discontinued....

I got a HUGH question? Can i cycle my Tank with LR and LS in it does that mean that i'm curing my LR as well? :confused:

Gosh i'm such a :n00b:

Cured rock is rock that has been through the cycle. If you are getting cured LR via shipping, then it will have some die off since it has been out of water, so it's not really fully cured anymore.
If you get it from a LFS, wrap it in some wet newspapers and take it home (assuming it is not a long drive) and you can put it right in your tank. You could also keep it in SW for the trip to prevent any die off.

Back
Top Bottom