Newbie To Salt Water Aquariums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Which salt do you use is a horrible question to ask. :p It usually starts a war about which brand is best, etc. ;)

Pick one and use it all the time. If it needs to modified, add whatever it's lacking to your pwc mix and you're good to go.

For online retailers I seem to go with the doctors first, though I'm probably switching to ThatPetPlace.com due to a recent change in the standard shipping at Dr.F&S. If neither of those place have what I'm looking for BigAlsOnline and MarineDepot come next along with a bunch of other sites I frequent.

The light from those windows will most likely cause you some algae problems.

Good luck with adventure. It's lots of fun.

I agree with Roka and Cmor....salt mix is a delicate question. I use RC and have for the last 8 months or so. My tank seems happier and I have fewer algae issues with RC then I had with other mixes.

Substrates for Reef

Hey guys is there a different between with live Substrates an Non- Live Substrates? Which brand is better to get for the Reef ?:confused:

:n00b:

"Live" sand is probably not live, from harvesting, shipping on a hot or cold truck, sitting on a shelf in a hot/cold warehouse and then onto another truck, out to your LFS. See what I'm saying?
Skip it and get dry aragonite sand, just make sure to rinse it out really well.

Welcome to the salt world, I too am newer at it!

Just to give you my insight so far - Ive been using reef crystals and so far so good. It seems to desolve well, and no problems yet.

I agree with Roka, get dry argonite sand. You can get about 15# for 10-15$ versus 'live' sand that goes for $20-40 for about 10-15#. If you're getting live rock especially, you dont need to worry about getting 'live' sand.

good luck! these people are very helpful :)

I would look into a Octopus Skimmer and forgo the Jebo. With skimmers and many other aspects of this hobby you get what you pay for. A skimmer and your lighting should be things you do not skimp on.

Not exactly. The Octopus skimmers aren't really all that expensive but they are very good skimmers. Now if you want to spend a lot of money and get a great skimmer look at the Bubble King or the Deltec line of skimmers. $$$$

I have an ASM G4X on my system and I'm very happy with it. ASM, Euro-Reef and Octopus are very similar in design.

Kurt nailed it. Take a few minutes and read through the articles he linked they will answer a lot of your questions and refresh your memory on the things you already knew.

Anything you don't understand or want clarification on just ask...we are here to help!

Could someone tell me whats the different between a T-5 light fixture and a T-8 light fixture? Will they both do the same thing?

:uzi:

The T-5 is smaller in circumference than the T-8s.

The bulb is smaller. I don't think I have seen a "screw" in type T-5 for aquarium applications.

Back
Top Bottom