Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-30-2005, 11:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to vsnsofadrgn
nitrates rising

my nitrates were at a steady 20ppm (had problems in past) and i got the poly filters to try and drop that down, i was on the right rack but i got a yellow clown goby and he wasnt eating so as suggested i fed every day for a few days to make sure he was eating, well now i know hes ok, hes been seimming and hes still alive, so that tells me something, but now that ive been adding the flake my nitrates are rising, theyre at 40 now. i do weekly water changes. i just did one the other day. i have pepermint shrimp and snails now and i dont want them to die. im going to do another water change, but im wondering if theres anything else i can do. the poly filter is already a light brown. how do i make sure the goby is eating without adding the flake, as im sure thats the culprit, it was steady before i started feeding with that again.....

hope dies last
vsnsofadrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 01:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
I like to do 20-25% changes every other day and stop feeding for a few days or so till they come down to 0. I get stressed when they are even slightly detectable.

3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 01:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well at this point i was happy at 20, but was trying to get them down to zero, since im looking into getting some corals in a month or so. i get stressed out also and ive been doing everything i can to keep this at bay.

hope dies last
Old 12-31-2005, 02:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
You really need to feed less. I feed 2-3 times a week maximum. Also you may want to throw the grape calerpra into your display since you don't have a sump like me. I have found this to be very helpful and have it in my 37 gal reef and 6 gal mantis tank, you do risk the chance of having it go sexual but if you keep it trimmed back and keep an eye on it you will be fine. Try and get another 10 lbs of LR for that tank as well.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 07:18 AM   #5
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Even though its not 0 ,20 ppm on nitrates is not a killer. I believe with weekly PWC and feeding every other day you should be OK.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 10:01 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can always build a simple denitrator. I use one on my 175 and I feed much more often than most, but my Nitrate, multiple kits, always tests at 0. Not to mention that it is an all natural solution with no chemicals. It does take a very little bit of maintenance once you have it going. http://aquaripure.com/ this site is a commercial builder of them, but you can learn the chemistry and physics behind them and esily build your own. Mine cost about $15, since I had most of the stuff already lying around.
Old 12-31-2005, 12:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i have 10 lbs of lr curing, but it wont be finished for about another 3 weeks. ive gone back to feeding every other day, and ive stopped using the flake. i just hope the goby gets some food. its at 40, and i dont want it to get worse. im going to do a water change.

hope dies last
Old 01-03-2006, 08:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to cordodor
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManMac
You can always build a simple denitrator. I use one on my 175 and I feed much more often than most, but my Nitrate, multiple kits, always tests at 0. Not to mention that it is an all natural solution with no chemicals. It does take a very little bit of maintenance once you have it going. http://aquaripure.com/ this site is a commercial builder of them, but you can learn the chemistry and physics behind them and esily build your own. Mine cost about $15, since I had most of the stuff already lying around.

I dont suppose you'd be interested in making a how-to for building one, would ya?
Old 01-03-2006, 09:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would be interested in that to simple denitrator diy?
Old 01-03-2006, 10:04 PM   #10

Back in 2003, I created one and it does work... I did not introduce a food source though and after about 5 or 6 months I figure, it gave up or the bacteria died? don't know... Now looking at it, you could add a sponge in the center. Stick a knife down about half way into the sponge and insert airline tubing into it to be the feed tube and add another hole out the top secure for feeding... worth another try I guess.. anyway, here is my post from back then...

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=2362

Tags
nitrates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com