nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gavh86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi my tank has been running now for 3 days it has around 9kg of rock and it has just tested possitive for nitrites is that a good thing and mean its starting to cycle

Hi my tank has been running now for 3 days it has around 9kg of rock and it has just tested possitive for nitrites is that a good thing and mean its starting to cycle

If you have nitrites you are In the second part of the cycle .
How big is your tank ?
What are you using for a ammonia source ?

+1

You want ammonia to convert to nitrites. Those convert to nitrates. At the end of it all, you will have zero ammonia and nitrites and elevated nitrates. At that point, you should have a good beneficial bacteria base. Should take 4-6 weeks, no less unless you are adding some kind of bacteria supplement like Dr Tim's One & Only. I've used that three times now and my tanks cycled in less than a week.

Its 130 litres what do i do next now i have nitrites in my tank and if i get some dr tim stuff how much do i put in ??

Its 130 litres what do i do next now i have nitrites in my tank and if i get some dr tim stuff how much do i put in ??

If it's all going well just leave it !
In order to have nitrites you would have added something as a source of ammonia .
Just let nature do it's job ,
You're more then half way there .

Ok thanks am going to wait till weekend then test for amonia is that ok to do ??

What are you using as an ammonia source? That usually involves dosing with ammonia or putting something like a shrimp in to deteriorate. Without those, the nitrites may have just come from die-off from the live rock. That will not be enough to keep the cycle going .

Dr Tim's sells in different amounts for different sized tanks. Their site will explain that. It is also a good idea to read up on how the saltwater cycle works. That way you can know what to expect. Their site does that too, but there are a lot of other places online too.

I have just 9kg of live rock and 2 hermit crabs

Then you have no ammonia source. To cycle a saltwater tank, you need one. Go to the grocery store, buy a fresh shrimp from the meat counter , throw it in your tank (wrapped in stocking or something so it does not get messy). As it decomposes, it releases ammonia. That will convert to nitrites. Those will,in turn, convert to nitrates. It all happens on its own, it just takes time.

Look it up online and it will make much more sense.

I reckon this is about the 5th time I'll have read someone give you advice on this but I do really recommend you read the articles on here about cycling a saltwater tank - it will honestly give you all the info you need on your nitrogen cycle and explain your nitrite reading. Is this the only test you have? You will need ammonia, nitrate and ph kits also for your start up so you can monitor your cycle. With so many questions about this I wonder how much research you have done before start up? How have you set the tank up? Not trying to be rude but if you get it wrong the first time it will lead to a world of pain and could put you off the hobby! Research is the key to successful salt tanks :)

Back
Top Bottom